Vineyard Update: What have you done?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TicinoVintner

Reaction score
So yesterday I cleared a large section of wild black berries that was killing the air circulation on the top corner of my vineyard. I look like I fought two cougars (he-he, inside joke) from all those thorns. I also re-terraced a row that will receive new vines this year. And if that wasn't enough I placed my order for 60 merlot, 12 cab-sauv and 12 Chardonnay vines to fill in all the holes from when I pulled all the sick and dead vines out. Who says winter is "quiet" time in the vineyard?

Anyone else staying busy in the vineyard? Please share.

Forgot to mention I did all that in four feet of snow and uphill both ways,lol. Actually it was only four inches but my kids will know I did it in four feet, for future reference. ;)

Things are still frozen and coated in ice and snow here. It will be another couple months before I can get busy in the vineyard.

Put some posts in, ordered some vines.

Still have to build up a trellis and a pergola, relocate some vines and plant the new ones...

So lots to do. Fortunately we don't have snow yet, so I can get some things done before spring...

18" of snow on the ground here, kinda glad, we've got another arctic intrusion coming next week and that is supposed to be followed by another one shortly thereafter. At this point I'd rather have the cold, I'm tired of shoveling and plowing snow.

I cut 2 vines off about a foot high and dug up the stumps a few weeks ago. Soon I'll cut the vines off the arbor they were on. I've had more snow and more frozen ground than any winter in recent memory. But most of the holdup is just muddy ground.

Put some posts in, ordered some vines.

Still have to build up a trellis and a pergola, relocate some vines and plant the new ones...

So lots to do. Fortunately we don't have snow yet, so I can get some things done before spring...

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Fixing posts, fixing trellis, fixing the terrace for where all the new vines will go. Good thing the ground isn't frozen or it would make all the work that much harder. We are having a mild winter compared to the U.S. I also cut down three trees to increase air circulation and late afternoon sun, plus we need some firewood. Three birds with one stone.

I cut 2 vines off about a foot high and dug up the stumps a few weeks ago. Soon I'll cut the vines off the arbor they were on. I've had more snow and more frozen ground than any winter in recent memory. But most of the holdup is just muddy ground.

Pulling up stumps and roots are a P.I.T.A in summer time, no way would I try it on frozen ground. Which reminds me I still have one more I need to pull out.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. Fixing posts, fixing trellis, fixing the terrace for where all the new vines will go. Good thing the ground isn't frozen or it would make all the work that much harder. We are having a mild winter compared to the U.S. I also cut down three trees to increase air circulation and late afternoon sun, plus we need some firewood. Three birds with one stone.

Hey, great to see another European, (and probably even german speaking) member here!

You just reminded me of the two cherry tress that still ought to be cut before spring. Hope I find someone who'll do that work for the price of the wood. Simply have too much wood around the house at the moment ;)

Just out of curiosity: Which varieties did you plant?
I'm going to plant a wide range of varieties: Traminer, Pinot Noir, Marzemino, Bouvier, Silvaner, Portugieser, Blauer Wildbacher, Rathay, Rondo and Bluetenmuskateller (=Cvetotchny). Welschriesling, Muskateller and St. Laurent will also join the party in the near future...

Hey, great to see another European, (and probably even german speaking) member here!

You just reminded me of the two cherry tress that still ought to be cut before spring. Hope I find someone who'll do that work for the price of the wood. Simply have too much wood around the house at the moment ;)

Just out of curiosity: Which varieties did you plant?
I'm going to plant a wide range of varieties: Traminer, Pinot Noir, Marzemino, Bouvier, Silvaner, Portugieser, Blauer Wildbacher, Rathay, Rondo and Bluetenmuskateller (=Cvetotchny). Welschriesling, Muskateller and St. Laurent will also join the party in the near future...

Guten Tag, im Frühling Pflanze ich 60 Merlot, 12 Cab/Sauv und 12 chardonnay.
I LOVE some of the wines coming out of Austria, great Zweigelt and Blaubergunder. Good luck finding someone to cut down those cherry trees and lets hope we have a better year than last year.

Last edited:
Guten Tag, im Frühling Pflanze ich 60 Merlot, 12 Cab/Sauv und 12 chardonnay.
I LOVE some of the wines coming out of Austria, great Zweigelt and Blaubergunder. Good luck finding someone to cut down those cherry trees and lets hope we have a better year than last year.

Thanks!

So I guess you're in the south of Switzerland (close to the Italian border?) otherwise I would find it quite daring to plant Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon! They do grow in Austria but they wouldn't reach full maturity about every second year...
Anyways, good luck with them! And if you ever happen to plant Pinotage, please spare me some cuttings! ;)

Terracing a forgotten row.ImageUploadedByWine Making1391173037.412921.jpg

Photo was taken in fall but I've gone a bit further.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Now that I have the WMT app I can easily add more photos. Here I am in summer time........can't wait for summertime.ImageUploadedByWine Making1391173494.755889.jpg

Now that's a steep site!
I guess it looks a bit different at the moment ;)

Do you do the terracing by hand?

I have to do everything by hand. It's too steep for any machinery. Except a weedeater to cut the grass. It's too steep for even a lawnmower. It also makes for some interesting moments when using a backpack sprayer. Many times I've almost lost my footing and came really close to taking a few rows out. Lol

I have to do everything by hand. It's too steep for any machinery. Except a weedeater to cut the grass. It's too steep for even a lawnmower. It also makes for some interesting moments when using a backpack sprayer. Many times I've almost lost my footing and came really close to taking a few rows out. Lol

Sounds like an awful lot of work! But I guess it's worth the reward ;)

So I plan on pruning this weekend due to the biodynamic moon calendar. The moon is in Leo and the sun moves from Capricorn to Aquarius on Feb15. Plus a whole host of other planetary events happening this weekend which to be honest I don't completely understand. I just know that since using the calendar I harvest more grapes every year. Last year I almost doubled my harvest from the previous year. The next best dates for pruning grapes or any fruit tree will be April 10th but is not as favorable as Feb 14-16.

Back