Vines arrived today

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebronze

Reaction score
Well, the first shipment of vines arrived today. This one is a sampling of Marquette, Traminette, St Vincent, etc. Nortons on the way. Can't wait to get them in the ground! The weather is going to be perfect and the layout is almost complete, so it should be plug and play. Will post pictures when it is more than a plot of dirt!

How many vines are you planning on planting?
I am a little further north only familiar with The Marquettes.

Congratulations on getting the first shipment. We even enjoy pictures of bare ground.

It sounds like the vines will be pretty crowded (600 sq ft / 25 = 24 sq ft per vine or 6x4)and those are all high vigor vines, so you may get some shading going on. Can you steal a bit more ground to space a bit further, say 6x8 feet?

Nortons will be challenging getting them to ripen there. They will survive the winters OK, but they take about 4000 gdds to ripen.

I know the sapcing is tight. Unfortunatley, all the rest of the space is covered in landscaping. I have raised the area a few feet with my backhoe by adding soil, so hopefully enough richness to the soil to allow the tight spacing. I have a much larger plot in the back that could be developed (hence the test plot) but it will take years (large trees, huge rocks, etc.) I hope the Norton will make it, but I am really holding out hope for the Crimson Cabernet in that space, but it will not be available for years. BV

Latest posts

Back