Vine relocation advice requested

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoopthulhu

Junior
Reaction score
I realize that ideally this should have probably happened weeks if not months ago, but, such as it is, here we are. I have a vine that was grown by the previous house owners and I need to relocate it. I have created a trellis are to move it to already, but I am unsure whats the best practice for what I am working with. Pictures for clarity:

20180424_120548.jpg

20180424_120555.jpg
20180424_120606.jpg

Not even being totally conversant with the vine terminology, the vine splits pretty much just above ground level. I largely ignored this plant last year, and it didn't do great, but did produce some green seedless grapes.

I am hoping some advice on the best way to move this, and where to trim it back at if required. Thanks in advance!

A vine can have quite deep roots. Best to move it with a backhoe. Or a lot of shoveling. If that is not an option, get as much of the root system as you can, trim the top down to two buds, and keep it well watered (but not water logged) all summer.

trim the top down to two buds

Given what I am working with above, are you suggesting I should be removing the smaller main vine that is coming out just above ground level and leaving only the main vine? And then cutting that vine back to two buds?

Sorry, I'm not getting it.

Latest posts

Back