Very Slow/Stuck MLF... What to do?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deedubbs

Junior
Reaction score
So, I bought a pinot noir and Barbera bucket in early Sept. Both seemed fine. After fermented to dry, split one packet of VP-41 ons step, good for up to 60 gallons, followed the directions and just split the inoculated must between the two batches. I keep them on a covered radiator that has always worked well for yeast, must is probably about 70-75 degrees. In both batches, I'm getting bubbles, but only about 1 every 10 seconds.

It's been nearly 4 months and my first accuvin test today looks like 300mg/L.

What should/can I do?

Thanks!

Update: after 4 minutes Accuvin quick test was dark purple, after 30 it's much lighter, would now read about 75mg/L. Which is correct?

Here is a simple question how does it taste? The strips can and do take a few minutes to fully develop. Chromatography is a good referee method. Your tongue is a good method it's usually pretty accurate and the test are cheap!

Yes, instructions say 4 minutes.

From what I've read, I'm just going to rack gently into carboy because both batches have a ton of sediment and re-inoculate MLB with Opti-malo.

Update: I tried just adding Opti-Malo before racking and re-inoculating. That seems to have done it. It produced a wine volcano initially, but a few hours later my test carboy is still really, really going strong. I can't imagine that could be anything but MLF, I stirred very gently.

Removing a small amount of wine and mixing the Opti-Malo in that until it dissolves, then pouring this mixture back into the batch of mine, should minimize any volcanic activity

Latest posts

Back