WineXpert vegatation??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldwino54

Reaction score
Just got my awards and judging results back from the wine kit competition and one of my wines was judged to have a vegitive taste to it!! What does this mean?? I do not pick that up at all in the flavor.

Maybe he was describing a tannin flavor from leaving stems and seeds in the must?

'Vegetative' is a fairly broad term. To give you an idea of what he could have meant, though...

VEGETATIVE: fresh - stemmy, cut green grass, bell pepper, eucalyptus, mint; canned-cooked - green beans, asparagus, green olive, black olive, artichoke; dried - haw-straw, tea, tobacco.

What kind of wine was it, of curiosity?

twice of my wine smelled like some kind of vegetable ( green bean for example ) during primary fermentation. It subsides with time. Are you making wine from fresh grapes?

Just got my awards and judging results back from the wine kit competition and one of my wines was judged to have a vegitive taste to it!! What does this mean?? I do not pick that up at all in the flavor.

In my opinion, I think the vegetal component in wine has unfortunately gotten a bad reputation, and perhaps under appreciated for its uniqueness. I can say from trying some commercial wines that have had a strong vegetal aroma and taste profiles (broccoli/asparagus and green olive), I found it to be extremely appealing and a nice departure from your typical fruity/berry-type characteristics associated with red wines.

Since then, I have always been surprised to come across winemaking ingredients including yeast strains that aim to get rid of it, because I enjoy it so much. (Mind you I also enjoy tasting tar, dirt, chalk, and smoke in my wine as well, which might be off-putting for some folks)

In fact, I would be interesting in knowing what grape varietal you uses and what you might have done in your winemaking to achieve this profile so I can try to bring out these characteristics in my wine.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum...etal-earthy-chalky-components-red-wine-44926/

Cheers.

Last edited:
Cocroach, I was poised to respond that I find the degree of vegetal flavor in Cab Franc to be agreeable. Then I hit the link you provided to your previous thread, where you identify exactly that connection! I guess we are on the same page...

Yes, trying the Cab Franc was definitely an eye-opening experience!

Latest posts

Back