Vacuum versus gravity bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhattin

Reaction score
I have been experimenting with vacuum bottling/transfer of wine, and the associated degassing that goes with it for a year now. I have yet to find any taste comparison of vacuum versus normal gravity feed bottling. The vacuum advantages are that it is quicker,:wine has less time to contact the depleted air ( vacuum levels of about 25 in HG reduce the amount of air to about 1/8th of normal air volume. So it appears to be an obvious winner. However the down side is - vacuum bottling is a lot more vigorous, and perhaps(??) the longer molecular chains that form as a result of ageing are disrupted. More of the wine is exposed to the lesser amount of air/oxygen. Secondly, a lot of foam is developed that has to be dealt with. Gravity seems to be a more benign filling and perhaps gives a smoother taste over time. Is there a requirement for some level of CO2 to be in the wine to make it age better? We need a comparative tasting of vacuum filled and gravity filled wine? If some one has done it, can you forward the details.

Ric Hattin
Bluenoserone

Good thread ... I was asking myself some of the same questions and you are correct that the vacuum racking / bottling can be more vigorous. In fact, I did one that was on the extreme side and I had a few inches of foam in the receiving carboy.

But … you can make adjustments to correct this issue. On my last vacuum racking I extended a tube all the way to the bottom of the receiving carboy. The second thing I did was to reduce the amount of vacuum down to around the 10” WC instead of running 20” WC wide open on my pump. Now of course it takes longer to transfer this way but it a much smoother transition for the wine.

I have notes on the one I beat up and in about 12 months I can tell you if there is a difference. No really … I would like to see what others think about vacuum racking and if anyone has been racking this way long enough to have already sampled the product.

Who knows, the results may be positive as long as oxidation is kept under control.

Not sure what you mean about foam issue with bottling. I do keep my vacuum adjustment way down for everything except when degassing so maybe you are just being impatient and trying to push it too fast. Even set on slow its way faster then gravity will ever be and you forgot to mention the best part of vacuum racking. The best part of vacuum racking is that you can do it uphill or horizontal and not have to lift up a vessel with wine in it!!!!!!!

The best part of vacuum racking is that you can do it uphill or horizontal and not have to lift up a vessel with wine in it!!!!!!!

This is perhaps the single reason why I would love to vacuum rack.

Has anyone experimented with a positive pressure system?

Are you referring to pushing wine with air pressure? If so I dont recommend it t all. Even using gases to do it isnt a good idea or just isnt cost effective to us.

Wade when we were at Robs I watched him use his vacuum pump. Pretty cool. He has his pump in the other room even. I think about not having to pick up carboys everytime I move mine. It is nice using gravity but lifting can be a killer.

I have kept a diary of the wines that I have vacuumed filled, and the very few that I have not. Side by side tests tell me that the vacuum filled ones are much softer and more developed already. They seem to drop out tartaric acid at the same time. But i am probably biased.
Good idea about the longer tube. I wonder if I could put it right to the bottom of the bottle and thus get rid of all the foam.
Ric

Back