used carboys ok haul

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Reaction score
Found 4 , 6.5 carboys all for $110, 10 gallon fermenter for $15, auto siphon for $6. Not a steal but a good deal.
This morning I missed a steal. I traded emails with a man about 6 carboys a floor corker a ph meter and more, $5. I was the first to respond. we traded emails last night and he never responded to my last. This am he emails me 4 times between 7 and 745 am. At 8 he sent me and email that he was going to sell it to somone else who was there. I woke up at 830.
Damn.

I answered a Craigslist add where they mentioned they had a bunch of carboys for sale… I offered them $60.00 and they accepted. Turns out a “bunch” translates to 15 glass and 32 plastic carboys! He told me if I did not take them he would throw them in the garbage, so you see I really had no choice. Funny how my wife see it differently. After cleaning them up… I now need to find a way to unload some of these. I just do not see myself using all of these, just not enough room. And my wife is going to kill me ;)

IMAG0944.jpg

I would post on Craigs list 3/$50 and the plastic 3/$35

That is the plan... Do you know if there is a difference between glass carboys which have "ridges" around the sides and ones that are perfectly smooth? I have only ever used the "ridged" bottles so my concern is, will the smooth ones stand up to the AIOP vacuum? They are all marked "Made in Italy" and have no visible cracks/scratches...

That is the plan... Do you know if there is a difference between glass carboys which have "ridges" around the sides and ones that are perfectly smooth? I have only ever used the "ridged" bottles so my concern is, will the smooth ones stand up to the AIOP vacuum? They are all marked "Made in Italy" and have no visible cracks/scratches...
The smooth ones are perfectly fine, just older than the other ones. actually, I should say do not use the smooth ones, send them to me for proper disposal! Nice haul!

As you can see the smooth one's are the ones to keep. They won't collect sediment on the sides like ribbed ones do. Before you sell think hard about how many you want to keep for yourself. You won't find a deal like this for a long time. If it was me and I had the room (room is the decision maker), I would sell all the plastic first and hang onto the glass. There are folks that prefer the plastic but they can be bought rather cheap. Glass is always in demand.

I answered a Craigslist add where they mentioned they had a bunch of carboys for sale… I offered them $60.00 and they accepted. Turns out a “bunch” translates to 15 glass and 32 plastic carboys! He told me if I did not take them he would throw them in the garbage, so you see I really had no choice. Funny how my wife see it differently. After cleaning them up… I now need to find a way to unload some of these. I just do not see myself using all of these, just not enough room. And my wife is going to kill me ;)

Man I wish I lived in Canada!!

As you can see the smooth one's are the ones to keep. They won't collect sediment on the sides like ribbed ones do. Before you sell think hard about how many you want to keep for yourself. You won't find a deal like this for a long time. If it was me and I had the room (room is the decision maker), I would sell all the plastic first and hang onto the glass. There are folks that prefer the plastic but they can be bought rather cheap. Glass is always in demand.

Thanks for the advise Dan, I have pretty much done just that. I sold off most of the plastic ones, and apart from giving away a few glass ones to friends... I am keeping the balance. Space has become a coveted commodity in my cellar (aka the garage) so I now need to come up with some ingenious storage methods.

Man I wish I lived in Canada!!

The last thing I need is someone trying to out-bid me on these kinds of things! :)

Truth be told, I have said the exact same thing about the US more than once.

Cheers brother.

Latest posts

Back