Used Barrel Preparation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeycannoli

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought an American Oak 59gal barrel at the end of last season. It is stamped 2016 so it was only used for one year. I have read a lot of different literature online about the proper way to go about getting the barrel ready for use, but wanted to get opinions on here as well.

I have rinsed it out and have kept water in it since i recently purchased it. What else needs to be done in order to use? Should I add citric acid or potassium metabisolphite? Quantity and for how long? Burn a sulfite stick inside? Any detailed regiment would be appreciated!

Hi all,

I bought an American Oak 59gal barrel at the end of last season. It is stamped 2016 so it was only used for one year. I have read a lot of different literature online about the proper way to go about getting the barrel ready for use, but wanted to get opinions on here as well.

I have rinsed it out and have kept water in it since i recently purchased it. What else needs to be done in order to use? Should I add citric acid or potassium metabisolphite? Quantity and for how long? Burn a sulfite stick inside? Any detailed regiment would be appreciated!

Were it me, once it was cleaned, I’d burn sulfur sticks in it, as regularly as recommended, until it’s time to put wine in it. The water in there is leaching out whatever oak flavor is left to impart to your wine.

Did you maintain it this last year? Gas or aciduated/SO2 water?

Sorry, my original statement wasn't very accurate. I purchased this a few weeks ago from a winery that was closing shop. As mentioned I had rinsed and kept water in it. Between the time period of them removing the wine at the beginning of this year (spring time) to the time of my purchase I am not positive as to how they maintained the barrel. I am thinking they let it sit with no liquid inside.

If they cleaned it out and properly stored it (with gas or liquid) it should be fine. If not, it could be compromised. What would I do now, not knowing if it was properly stored for a 6 month period? I probably wouldn’t use it. That is a lot of wine to put at risk.

Latest posts

Back