WineXpert Update on kit wine ...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cove Cottage

Reaction score
Well folks the VR Zinfandel is taking shape.
smiley4.gif
Sunday we racked to a clean carboy with the 1/4 tsp K-meta and topped off with wine. I was surprised to see new sediment in the bottom of the new carboy after only an hour .... guess I didn't do a very good job with that auto-siphon! We wanted to bottle in a few weeks, but it looks like we will have to rack it again. If anyone has any "tips" for using the auto-siphon with the anti-sediment tip please let us know.

Thanks!

I don't have the autosyphon but I'd say first, don't move the carboy before you rack to avoid stirring up sediment (I'm not saying you did). Second, I'd get the syphon started when it's about half way into the carboy (again not to stir up any sediment) then carefully lower it till it just touches the bottom.

Jackie,

Thanks for the hint. It said to place the anti-sediment tip on the bottom but what you say makes more sense. Next time I rack I'll try it your way.

Margaret

I normally do one extra racking so as to not have to deal with the sediment when bottling. It takes a little more time and patience, but well worth it, in the end.

On the other hand, Jackie's instructions will also produce the desired result. One little trick is to have a tubing clamp and small vessel handy when siphoning.Watch the liquid as it moves though the tubing. When you see the sediment going through use the clamp to stop the flow. Take the end in the carboy and place it in the small vessel. Release the clamp and put the cloudy wine in the small vessel. When the line clears again (usually no more that 2 cups) close the clamp and place the tubing back in the carboy. Release the clamp and you will now have clear wine to bottle.

don't know if this is the best way, (i'm sure it's not)... but i will gently set the auto siphon on the bottom and start bottling, (watching the flow as George stated... it's always been clear until i get to the last bottle or two, and then i will label those bottles w/ masking tape "bottom" so i know not to give those away, and filter them w/ a decanter/aerater when i go to drink them... that way i don't have to worry about topping off w/ water or another wine so i can keep as much "wine integrity" as I can

I used my "muddy" bottles to top off other batches. I get rid of my ugly wine, and I don't have to add water to my new batches.

I can see that decantingmight be in order ... at least for a few bottlesin this batch.

I can always cover the bottlewith dustand then tell my guests that it's a very old wine I found and it needs decanting. With great ceremony over a candle flame we can carefully decant. By that point they won't care what they drinkg
smiley36.gif
What do the French say??? You dine first with you eyes .... let's hope it's the same for drinking!

Hollow Oak Wine ... great idea. Do you mix with different types of wine, ie Zinfandel with Cabernet? Or do you strictly top off with the same style of wine?

nice idea, never thought of that... i wouldn't be afraid to mix most wines, definately wouldn't think twice about adding zin to cab or vice versa, (sounds pretty tasty).... the "old aged bottle" idea sounds good to, if you want to serve to company, but if you're drinking by yourself (does this mean i have a problem??) aerating and decanting doesn't bother me

I guess it would depend on how much of a purist you are. I don't mind myself mixing wines (Reds with reds, whites with whites). The small amount that you are adding will not change the taste very much at all.

Scared my wife though. I used a muddy bottle of Pinot Grigio to top off my Bourgeron Blanc. I used all but about 4 ounces of the bottle so I put the rest in the fridge. Wife found the bottle and thought I had consumed it myself.
smiley36.gif

ME too, that makes me a wine lover...................especially when it is a really good one!!
smiley2.gif

Hey, why do you thinkwe started making wine????

The garbage sure is a lot lighter now that we are saving our wine bottles.

Does that mean a bottle EVERY night, or just nights where you're doing
something with the next batch?

Given a drinking rate of 1 bottle a night that would mean starting a batch
every thirty days. Sounds like a plan to me.

Every night I am off work, minus a night now and then when I don't feel good or am not at home or something else. So, almost half the time since I work half the time.

Hippie said:
I regularly drink an entire bottle during the evening. Scared?

smiley22.gif

Yea...the norm for me is only one or two glasses a night. If I consumed an entire bottle, it would alarm her. What can I say? She loves me.

ok, my turn! Last night when I started my green apple riesling, I had about 24ozs. of Lambrusco. I was pretty buzzed, but still could concentrate on the concentrate!!
smiley17.gif

I can't wait until I get some of mine ready so I can enjoy the pleasures all of you are discussing. Until then, I am going to enjoy Martina's wines

Latest posts

Back