WineXpert uhh oh

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SIXTO

Reaction score
Hello all,

Today is not a good day for me... Why??? I came home today and my upstairs (where I start my wine) was very hot... I have the Corvina in the primary, Supertuscan on stage 2, Zin on stage 4. The airloch on the Tuscan was filled with wine and the Zin had a little wine in the airloch. This is all due to the fact it was very warm in the room.... How bad of a news is this? Is this the end of the road? (jk)

Its hard for me cause at night it is perfect up there and during the day it is very warm.. I did put ac unit up there but sometimes it gets just too cold.

Has anyone ever ran into something like this??

Cheers

Check your yeast at each website. they have their own temperature ranges they do well in. Redo the locks and see if they start. When yeast starts to die from temp it can give bad flavors, but these should leave over time in most cases.

If they don't start you need the pros here to go over each step. I'm too new.

SIXTO it sounds to me like you may have more of a barometric pressure issue than a temperature that is drawing the wine into the airlock. Unless your temps are getting above 90 degrees up there I don't think the wine will be affected too terribly adversely. Granted, it's not the optimum temp but still not enough to ruin the wine. You can try moving trhem to a cooler area or if you have a big plastic tub or sometheing you can set them in and pour some water in it to about 6-8 inches deep on the carboy and then drape a cloth over the carboy, letting the edge drop into the water thereby wickingit up and keeping the wine cooler.

Thanks, I turned up the ac a little bit..

Waldo, but do you mean a barometric issue

That is exactly what he means. Temperature changes can also make the
wine go into the airlock if you are that close to the airlock
(Expansion and contraction).

Latest posts

Back