WineXpert Tweaking the Wine Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaughn

Reaction score
I just started a Petite Sirah yesterday. It will be the second time that we have done this particular wine kit. Since I like a LOT of variety, I was wondering, are there any suggestions for "Tweaking" this kit to make it more interesting? The kit has oak chips for the primary, would oaking the carboy be overkill. Perhaps there are additive that I could try that would make the wine flavor more complex or have a sweeter finish? I'm willing to experiment.

I think French oak cubes for 8 weeks would suit that wine very well. Put them in after the wine is finished and stabilized, and fined, and ready to bottle, but don't bottle. It might end up being more the style of a heavily oaked Cab Sauv, so if you don't like that, refrain. I think it will be better than that, since French oak is way so much more subtle than American. You might also try 4 oz. of dried elderberries in the must. They will help anything.

Latest posts

Back