WineXpert Tweaking kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyalRed

Junior
Reaction score
I just read an article that said you could add sugar to the initial fermentation of kits such as Island Mist or one of the wine cooler types and get a higher alcohol percentage while keeping the taste. Has anyone ever tried this?

I did it with a Blackberry-Merlot. I couldn't keep the stuff. I actually bottled it in used Arbor Mist bottles with new screwcaps. I think it was 15% abv. Way too hot, too sweet, but everyone liked it except me. I started it as a 5 gallon instead of 6 and added sugar, fermented dry, then used all the sweetening pack that is for 6 gallons. It would have been better if I had started it outas the normal 6 gallons, chaptilizing just to about 11 or 12%PA, then proceeding as normal.

I don't think I'd spike the coolers much. They are supposed to be
be light on alcohol to bring out more of the fruit flavor. I have
added sugar (2-3 brix) to other kits successfully to get the alcohol
level higher. Use the hydrometer; I also test acidity and
it's been OK.

On the other hand, if you monkey with the kit's directions, you might
not get backed up by the manufacturer if things don't go well. At
least follow the instructions the first time. Another method
would be to spike the alcohol level after the wine is finished
(everclear) using Pearson's Square to get the proportions right.
Experiment with a glass of wine before committing to adjusting the
batch.

I agree with MattMath. Whenever you start playing with your kit wine, you run the risk of voiding the manufacturer's warranty. I also agree with his assesment as to the value of "fortifying" the fruit wines. They are meant to be low alcohol, more like a wine cooler. If you bump the alcohol up too high, you may lose the fruitiness.

Could you tell me more about the process of increasing the alcohol content after the wine is finished? I didn't know you could do that. I have thought about trying something (other than leaving out water at the beginning. LOL!!!)
smiley32.gif

Increasing the alcohol content after fermentation is called "fortifying". It what they do to make port. All you do is add some type of distilled spirit. I usually use grain alcohol, as it has no flavor; however, depending on your fruit wine, you might want to choose a flavored spirit comparable to your fruit.

Do you recommend adding sugar to the primary fermentation as a better option?

Adding more sugar during primary is the best option, unless you are tryingto get over 20%. In that case, you will need to fortify. If you looking for less than 20%, more sugar in the beginnning is the answere. If do this, keep in mind which yeast you are using and how much alcohol it can tolerate. If you put too much sugar for the yeast, your yeast will die before they convert all of the sugar and you could wind up with a very sweet wine.

Maineiak, also keep in mind the kit wine will be way off balance when it is finished in regards to acid, tannin, and sugar. It will take alot longer in the bottle to become good.I know this from experience. Your best bet will be to add extra K-Meta. at bottling and don't open one to taste test for 2 years.

OK just added metabisulphite and sorbate then the F-pack and then the isinglass to my Island Mist White Zinfandel kit as per directions. Will this get sweeter than it tastes right now
smiley11.gif
if not how do I sweeten it up
smiley5.gif

Just had another taste I thinks its more that it has lost its fruit flavor any suggestions.
smiley7.gif

Rodd, was this kit wine made per the instructions, or tweaked such as the title of this topic? I will not get any sweeter if you do not sweeten it more. This type of wine is meant to be drank now and not aged, however, 1 month somewhere cool and dark will take most of the new taste out of the bottle.

No I have followed the instructions no tweaks. It had a great sweet fruit taste in the beginning and now its gone with more of an alcohol taste.
smiley11.gif

I ran into this same issue when I tried my White Zinfandel just before bottling. It was very strong and had no fruit quality at all. I mixed up a sugar syrup of 6 ounces sugar to 3 ounces hot water. Once the sugar was dissolved and the syrup cooled I added to the carboy and stirred like crazy. I let that set for a day and it raised the SG from .996 to .998. It still wasn't quite where I thought it should be so I did this same process one more time. This brought the SG down to 1.00 and made a much more palatable taste. I bottled and will leave for a few months to see how things improve.

This is the first time I have had to "tweak" a kit so time will tell how successful this idea was. Good luck with yours!
smiley17.gif

Thank think I will wait till close to time to bottle then check again and make a decision.

Rodd, you might be tasting some CO2 also. Are you sure it is degassed well?

smiley25.gif

Oh man I followed ya'll advice on that one I stired and stired and stired and then when I had finished I stired some more.
smiley5.gif

I used part of the f pack to raise SG to get a little more % in there. I am letting my age a bit but I can tell it will be a very good Xmas gift.
for the not so fussy wine crowd.

Latest posts

Back