troubleshooting- too much sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagpuss

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, if anyone has the time, could they suggest what I should do with my beginner's mistake?

Using CJJ Berry's First Steps in Winemaking, I am making blackberry wine (p189). Having left the Must for 4-5 days and done everything by the book, I was adding the very last ingredient- the last of the sugar and foolishly added a 1 kg bag instead of a 500g!

It bubbled up madly 30 mins later and I ended up pouring some of the stirred mixture down the sink to avoid an explosive mess. It then happily bubbled away for 10 days before I risked adding some of the leftover liquid to top up the demijohn. (I still have more.) It is still bubbling every 2-3 seconds in the trap.

I don't have a hydrometer nor a homebrew shop anywhere near to get one. Will the yeast be overwhelmed by the sugar? Is there anything I can do? Top it up with water? All advice very gratefully received! Thank you.

The recipe is as follows:
blackberries 1.75kg/ 4lbs
sugar 1.5 kg/ 3 lbs
water 4.5 litres
yeast, nutrient, pectic enzyme, B1 tablet too

You need a hydrometer first off. Order one on line.

Had your must fermented all the way down? Without a hydrometer you won't know for sure. Had it, you should have cleared it then aged and backsweetened.

Sounds like the yeast is feedng upon the sugar you added. Problem is you will be creating a higher alcohol content.

Without a hydrometer you can't give us a starting specific gravity for us to help you further.

bagpuss:

Just out of interest...where is Woodbridge?

Google found at least 3 in the USA, one in Canada, and one in the UK. If we know roughly where you are, we may be able to assist you more.

Steve

I agree - use a hydrometer - now the problem is - you won't have a good idea of what the ABV is since you don't have a starting SG. Chances are the ABV will be a bit higher - you could blend it do bring it down - or make this a larger batch.

troubleshooting-too much sugar

Thank you for the expertise, all of you. Much appreciated. I had better seek out a hydrometer after all! Kind regards.

There are a few things you can do. First, you can allow the yeast to work away on the wine and run its course. Most likely, you will have a sweet wine with high alcohol. Not necessarily a bad thing.

You can make a similar batch and mix the two.

You can make a yeast starter with higher alcohol tolerance and add it to your must. Depending on the total amount of sugar used, it might still be sweet, but something like Champagne yeast will consume a lot of the sugars. It will also increase the alcohol percentage. :se

Latest posts

Back