Trial Batches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As to clearing the wine, I am not only impatient but I usually need the space so I rely heavily on fining agents which are added after secondary fermentation is complete. The best I have used is SuperKleer. With over 25 fruit wines handled in this fashion none have had fines in the bottle.

Thanks Appleman. I always appreciate your advice. Despite my career choice, I'm not very disciplined with my hobbies. Hmm..maybe that's why. Anyway, you and Wade are teaching me to take this hobby more seriously, and that requires both patience and discipline.

As for clearing, I didn't use a clearing agent with these, and I was surprised how quickly they cleared on their own. They may indeed throw more sediment, and if that happens I'll use it as an excuse to make more. Practice makes perfect, right?

Smoke- I have blackberry, plum-cherry, and cranberry batches clearing now. They're darker, so it's hard to tell how clear they are without drawing a sample. I've been thinking about using Super Kleer on them. If I do, how long should I wait before bottling?Also, I've already back-sweetened the blackberry. Is it bad to use Super Kleer after you've back-sweetened?

Some wines will clear nicely on their own and some even with the pectic enzyme and bentonite added in the beginning and a fining agent used later will give you a run for your money. My spiced apple took awhile to clear with all the above. Even after adding SuperKleer it took 3 weeks to clear. Ive never encountered a batch that was so stubborn as that batch.

Lloyd said:
NW - Upon digging thru my wine making stuff purchased 15 years ago, I continue to amaze myself!
I have the exact unit you have, but when we tried it back then, it did not work well for us.
It would not produce very much juice.
I have no idea what we did wrong, but I definately will be giving it another chance!!

It is the stainless version, in perfect condition except the hose and clip are missing.
They should be easy to replace.

Here is a couple of pics of the original magazine article that got us interested in it, and the cover of the instruction book.
The original receipt says we paid $106.40 in 1992.

20080302_190507_Steamer1.jpg

First I want to appologize for trying to turn this thread into a "steam juice extraction" thread.
But I just got to say, I tried the unit again.
I replaced the missing hose with racking hose, and put a clamp on it.
Then I used a racking hose shut off clamp to control the flow.
It worked well.

The story:
We'vehad these two HUGE rhubarb plants that we've all but ignored for many, many years.
I don't know when I planted them, but I bet it was 20+ years ago.
We've grabbed a few stalks here and there, but never a real picking.
I had been eyeing it for the last few years, busting off the massive seed heads, and watching it get more and more crowded.
When I approached it this spring, it was a snarled up mess of stalks, and just totally out of control.
So I started pulling ..... and pulling ...... and pulling.
When I was done, the plant looks like a herd of cows had run over it.
I left plenty of small stalks, and underdeveloped leaves, but WOW, did I do a number on those two plants!

So I get inside and wash them up,chop them into 1/2" pieces, and freeze them in 1 gallon freezer bags.

I thru out a few of the un-red, over-sized stalks while chopping.
1 gallon chopped rhubarb = 4 pounds = 12 cups.
I had 7 gallon bags = 28 pounds = 84 cups.

I left them froze for 4+ days, then got them out,fired up the steamer/juicer, and gave it my best shot.

I did not add sugar during the process, but I did pour some of the juice back thru the rhubarb.

All in all I was very pleased.
The rhubarb went in frozen after I banged the bags on the counter to loosen them up a bit.
The unit never dropped water level in the 4 hours of time it took to staem it all.
The unit never really got hot to touch, except at the bottom where the water is boiling.
The racking hose got warm, but not hot.

All in all I was very impressed with the unit!!
I have no idea why it would not work well for use when we bought it back in 1992.

I got two 5-quart ice cream buckets FULL of lovely juice!
I refroze it for later use, and I read that there is an acid layer that can be removed if you freeze the juice for two days.
It's been froze for 2 days, and I can't see any layer as described .... oh well.

But I got the juice!

Now ..... what wine receipe do I use with the juice? Suggestions?
smiley1.gif

Edited by: Lloyd

Glad you got to use your steam juicer and liked the results.

When I do Rhubarb in the juicer I trim and wash the stalks, freeze them full lengths and when I juice them just break them up so they will fit in the steamer...they snap when they are frozen...a little easier than chopping all those stalks....But you probably fit more in the basket with each batch.

I usually replenish the water pan every hour or so and either add more fruit or re-fill the fruit basket and do another batch.

As for Rhubarb wine....I have tried many recipes and personally have mostly liked the Rhubarb/Raspberry/Red Grape and the Rhubarb/Strawberry/Red Grape best....

Last year I tried a Rhubarb/Pineapple and some people just love it...I thought I put in too much Pineapple...but am giving it more time....Sparkled half that batch and should try another bottle soon.....

Think I have done an Apple/Rhubarb as well and a Rhubarb/White Grape Concentrate.....My husband has turned his nose up at any wine that has Rhubarb in it.....so it is not one of our [his] favorites.

I have mixed Apple/Rhubarb/Raspberry juices for a breakfast drink and that went down nice...more apple than the other fruits.

I really want to find a wine we both like that has Rhubarb in it...I think the Rhubarb/Pineapple was fairly nice....but would use less Pineapple next time. I used some Bicarbonate in that batch and actually you couldn't taste the Rhubarb.

All this talk about Rhubarb...I'm off to pick some for Rhubarb Crisp right now...
smiley4.gif

Hey NW! While we are talking about the steam juicer. How much juice do you use to make say a gallon? Do you use the juicefrom the recommended 4 or 4 1/2 pounds of fruit like most recipes call for or do you use more juice? I guess what I want to know is how much juice do you use to make a gallon of wine. Oh and the rhubarb crisp sounds great.

Use about the same amount of fruit per gallon.

When I do some steam juicing I started keeping track of pounds of fruit per quart of juice...like on the small fruits and berries. Then do quart/pounds per gallon that way.

I try to steam 20-24 or so pounds of fruit at a time...then I put the juice into mason jars and write on the lids...'Use 8/10 per 5-6 gallons wine [or whatever I got from that amount of fruit] I tend to use more fruit per gallon of wine because I like the fruit flavor and usually have a lot of fruit around.

With apples I use pure juice.

On our northern grown grapes I had used almost pure juice, but find the acid a little high, so do dilute that with water and try to balance everything else.

Rhubarb is pretty high in acid too...the last batch I used Bicarbonate on it...

So, still do your testing.

I have had success using the same approach as Northern. That is, I use the juice from the poundage of fruit recommended for the wine. I have had excellent success using this approach.

Thanks! The steam juicer is the next thing on my list. I hope to have it before the apricots get ripe. Idid talk someone else into buying one. I know down the line they will be asking about this so I thought I would get answer. That way I will look smarter then I really am.
smiley36.gif
Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back