Transporting wine safely and FREE!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a get together next month in another state and like I'm sure most of you, I'm the go to wine guy. Seeing how I have my own wine to contribute now, I'd like to bring it with me. I try to fly Southwest Airline any chance I can. I think they are the best airline out there and they allow two checked bags for free, if they meet their 62 inch total dimensions L+H+W and weighs < 50 lbs. I had this plastic trunk that was being used as a storage bin. It is plastic, light weight and has wheels.
With the weight of a bottle of wine, and the weight of the carrier, I targeted fitting 12 bottles into the bin. Getting foam out of the recycle bin at work, I glued the pieces together and cut out the shape of the bottle. There is also a 1 1/2 inch top piece that keeps everything snug. Total dimensions 62, weight with a case of wine, 47 lbs. Looks like it will work.
181D35C4-7386-431B-9069-C0A893140B64.jpg
4F9A78B0-8957-4DF9-9732-3CC89E501FB8.jpg
BE423717-BD46-4804-B476-C3270AB2FD72.jpg

It is not illegal to transport wine on an airplane across state lines. It must be checked as baggage and be in a proper shipping container. The airlines will not be liable for damage to the contents inside but they will be liable for any loss of the baggage.

Nice job but are there not laws regarding transporting alcohol across state borders?

cheers

That is a great way to take that many. I would just cover up the top 6 with something so when other bags, etc. are dropped on the top of yours, it doesn't break those top 6.

I, like you, travel SW as much as possible. Whenever I travel, I take 4 bottles with me. 2 in my suitcase, and 2 in my wife's. I use drain tile(cut to fit) with bubble wrap around the bottle. It works awesome, doesn't take up much room and is very inexpensive. They are virtually indestructable and I can re-use them. Sent Jim(jswordy) two of them that way through FedEx even.

Last edited:
Nice job on the wine carrier! If your not as handy as Norcal you can always use a Fedex Wine Shipper. I just brought a case of juice back from WA State on SWA. No cost like you said as you get two bags checked free per person so I could have brought back another case if needed since I was traveling with my wife. The weight on my case was 43lbs. The styrofoam works very well to protect the wines from breakage as well as insulating them from heat. Our connection went through Phoenix which was 109F when we landed but all wines were cool to the touch when we got home. I seem to have tons of shippers as I am on quite a few wine list but if you don't have one you can pick them up at any winery that ships out of state or at a local FedEx or UPS store.

2012-09-03-16.54.49.jpg

That looks simply awesome!!!

How did you shape the foam to conform to bottle?

John, I traced the outside shape of the bottle using a marker on to the checkered duct tape, which I used as the template. I then used a serrated knife to cut through the 3" of foam.

That is a great way to take that many. I would just cover up the top 6 with something so when other bags, etc. are dropped on the top of yours, it doesn't break those top 6.

There are three layers of 1 1/2 semi rigid foam: one on the bottom, one in the middle and one on top, which holds everything snug. There is a hole to lock the cover on to the bottom. I will use some sort of removable clip. This container could be dropped from 4 feet at any angle and I'm confident that no bottles would break. The case may not survive, but the precious wine probably would not.

My total out of pocket cost, since I was able to scrounge up the materials, was $9 worth of spray glue.

Last edited:
Nice work, NorCal! You are quite a fine craftsman. :try

Are you going to make another insert for use with Burgundy bottles :)

Thanks Sour. Interesting to note that the Bordeaux cut out worked for the Burgundy bottles as well. The foam just compressed a little more on the sides of the cutout. If you look at the picture close, two of the bottles in there are Burgandy bottles.

Back