Tornadoes and a Blizzard!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started out this morning 3 am to workwith a mist in the air turning to rain/sleet/snow and it was lightening out during this changing to snow. First time I've ever seen that. The farther I drove the more the snow came down when finally you couldn't tell where the road was. Of course being so early you don't find anyone else on the roads, so it doesn't matter where you are at, as long as you are on the road.

Then it happened, 35-40 miles per hour, creeping along and swoosh! sideways turn, sliding toward the ditch, no control, all I could see was that fence post the state puts up along the highway coming at me. Luckily it was missed and I ended up in the ditch. Safe, no dents, but shaken! I was able to crawl (grandma low 4X4) out of the ditch, and finish my drive to work.

Now that I've made it here, I'm drained! I'm thankful for the angel that kept me safe this morning.

This may not have been the tornado, and I would never want to be in one. This spin was enough for me.

WOW...glad you are safe and I will pray for all those who might be in harms way.

Glad you got out of that situation unharmed...the slow motion turning and spinning stays with you for awhile...

Thank God for the 8th Wonder of the World...4X4...4 wheel drive...gotta have it.

Up here on the Northern Plains it started snowing yesterday evening, been coming down all day, just steady light snow....fairly mild, 28*F.

Picture014Small.jpg

It's starting to add up...

Picture008Small-1.jpg

St. Frances is protected from the winds....he is on a 18 inch pedestal...so the snow is finding it's way into his cozy niche....

Winter Storm Warning continues till tomorrow night...the winds will shift to the Northwest with gusts of 25 to 35 MPH...that will move this stuff around....then temps will drop.

The young dog loves it, been playing Frisbee with him, making him dive through the deepest snow I can find in the yard...Life's not so bad on de-tundra.

*Can hear snow mobiles...bet they are happy campers...been sitting all winter waiting for snow.Edited by: Northern Winos

Glad to hear your all right JS! I have 2 4 wheel drive trucks and would never go without them.

Thanks everyone! I guess the scary thing for me now is the fact that I did have it in four wheel drive, and still hit the ditch. A lesson learned once again! While creeping, you might have to crawl. Anything can happen.

I saw the results of some of the tornado damage last night on the news. My prays are with them!

Here in Iowa we received anywhere from 4 inches to 17 inches and it was "thundersnow". When I finallygot out Sunday there were drifts on the county road that the county plowsbroke through that were higher than the roof of the car. It was like driving through a long white tunnel.

My wife and I ventured out Friday afternoon during the worst of the blizzard. Our drive to town is usually 15 minutes or so. It took nearly an hour to get there on Friday. There were times when I couldn't see 10 feet in front of the Jeep, and the wind was whipping the new snow at 50MPH. If there was a wind break (such as in town or in a valley) it wasn't too bad. Out on the open road it was as bad as I've ever seen it.

It's the first time I've ever seen both I-80 and I-35 closed for so long. I-80 was closed for 49 hours. The log jam of semi trucks was amazing...

It's still nothing like the tornado's down south. We receive our share of those in the spring and I can sympathize with the folks down there.

Back