Topping up Leftovers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've made about 10 batches of wine and typically will rack out of primary into a size smaller carboy, ie. if I made a 6 gallon batch of wine, I'll rack into a 5 gallon carboy and 1 gallon jug. Maybe a little bit will have to go into a 1/2 gallon jug. This way I have same wine available to top off in future rackings. When I do re-rack and top the 5 gallon up, the 1 gallon will typically not be topped off. Is this wine still OK to use for topping or what do you guys typically do with it?

Also, I have made a few beer extract kits following the instructions closely. When I rack out of primary into a carboy, the carboy is rarely topped off. How bad is this for the beer? It's not going into long term storage so not that big of a deal?

Thanks!

Just keep downsizing your container for the remnant as you keep using it to top up the carboy. I keep my topping up wines in the fridge, too, which slows spoilage and ensures they are cold when I want to sneak a few glasses early! :D

Agree with JS. If you have a gallon jug, get yourself a 1/4 gallon jug.

You could also transfer the remaining "top off" wine into 750 ml wine bottles.

What does not fit in a 750ml bottle, you can transfer to your stomach!

I keep my topping up wines in the fridge, too, which slows spoilage and ensures they are cold when I want to sneak a few glasses early! :D[/QUOTE]

And the wine gremlins live in your refrigerator also??? Think them little buggers can drink more than I can. Arne.

We combine the toppers after the second racking and call them tuti fruitis, bottle and drink. We top off later with bottled wine. One technique we have been playing with is to purposely make say an elderberry with way too much oak, clear it and save it to use as a toper, adding some color, a bit of flavor and some color and oak and just a little bit of more color :) WVMJ

For the most part, what they are saying is keep the remaining top-up wine in a container with little headspace. It will keep better and longer.

We combine the toppers after the second racking and call them tuti fruitis, bottle and drink. We top off later with bottled wine. One technique we have been playing with is to purposely make say an elderberry with way too much oak, clear it and save it to use as a toper, adding some color, a bit of flavor and some color and oak and just a little bit of more color :) WVMJ

I use VCSS tanks, so topping up is never a problem.

There are times, however, where I end up with several gallons left over from bottling (for various reasons) that I collect into a single carboy or demijohn. I call this mixture "Tank Bottoms".

After a racking, I found that this wine is not half bad. There have been some years where "Tank Bottoms" actually won a bronze medal in competition.

It is nice to think that even the sludge from the bottom of my tanks taste damn good. It makes my overinflated ego run amok!

There are times, however, where I end up with several gallons left over from bottling (for various reasons) that I collect into a single carboy or demijohn. I call this mixture "Tank Bottoms".

After a racking, I found that this wine is not half bad. There have been some years where "Tank Bottoms" actually won a bronze medal in competition.

It is nice to think that even the sludge from the bottom of my tanks taste damn good. It makes my overinflated ego run amok!

This post should be cross-posted on the "Let's all 'fess up and have some fun" thread!

They would taste just a little better if you gave them a positive name :) WVMJ

I use VCSS tanks, so topping up is never a problem.

Latest posts

Back