Topping up, Headspace and Grrrrr..........

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdevrard

Reaction score
Ok, Help me out here. I've never been the sharpest stick in the bunch but this issue has me vexed.

So, I make a 4 gallon batch of wine (actually have one going right now) with the idea of putting 3 gal into one of my 3 gal carboys and having a gallon to top up with. Ok, no prob I have gallon jugs too.

In reality, I fill the 3 gallon carboy, then fill 3/4 of the gallon jug. Now I have a headspace problem. So, I fill a half gallon jug (yep I have them too) and put some in a wine bottle or two. Put air locks on 'em and I'm good. Until the next racking and then I have a half full wine bottle!!!! Grrrr.

Now I have heard about using glass marbles and corks to remove "ullage" (sp?) space, etc. This seems like a major PITA. No?

I do a lot of metal work and I am at the welding supply store often, would it behoove me to pick up a tank of C02, and pump that into the top of my carboy's and bottles?

There has got to be a better way, no? So how do you all do it, and keep it straight.

Thanks,

CE

So, I fill a half gallon jug (yep I have them too) and put some in a wine bottle or two. Put air locks on 'em and I'm good. Until the next racking and then I have a half full wine bottle!!!! Grrrr.

Get some 375ml bottles, and don't sweat the remaining air in the bottle.

Option 2: Sample your wine ...

I do a lot of metal work and I am at the welding supply store often, would it behoove me to pick up a tank of C02, and pump that into the top of my carboy's and bottles?

Some people are religious about doing that. If they pop the bung, they immediately purge with CO2. Purge the receiving carboy. etc.

Drink the half bottle......

If needed top off with store bought wine.......similar to what you've made.

I have the afore mentioned Carbon dioxide, and I will purge my carboys if I'm really feeling uptight. I saw a post (Sour Grapes??) that said that you couldn't purge all the air, so you are still going to have some O2. I wouldn't want to do that for long term bulk.

I have just broken down, bought a case of the appropriate wine, and now I can top up to heart's content, and finish up whatever is left over! :)

I have seen the owner of the wine supply that I go to use some type of special top which he pumps the air out of the bottle if it is not full. I have been thinking of getting one of those.

I have seen the owner of the wine supply that I go to use some type of special top which he pumps the air out of the bottle if it is not full. I have been thinking of getting one of those.

I am in the process of developing a similar but much more vacuum pressure to it - I hope to have more results within the next several weeks at best

CE,
As Mike said, get some 375ml bottles. I also have some 187ml bottles. Around here I can buy the cheap Gallo wine for $1 bottle and that is how I have accumulated the 187's(mine are the glass type, not plastic).

Thanks all,

That is kind of what I figured. Get a more diverse bottle collection or get some co2.

I am interested in something that would suck the air out. I am assuming at that point you are no longer bothering with an air lock. Doesn't seem that an air lock would work in that situation.

Vacuumpumpman I'll be waiting to see what you come up with. One of these days I'd love to get myself a All In One pump too. Guess it'd be a good idea to make sure I stick with the hobby for a while though! :)

Thanks all,

That is kind of what I figured. Get a more diverse bottle collection or get some co2.

I am interested in something that would suck the air out. I am assuming at that point you are no longer bothering with an air lock. Doesn't seem that an air lock would work in that situation.

Vacuumpumpman I'll be waiting to see what you come up with. One of these days I'd love to get myself a All In One pump too. Guess it'd be a good idea to make sure I stick with the hobby for a while though! :)

I think you are already hooked - per say !!
I would start looking for additional carboys now -

Flooding a carboy with co2 is a short term measure. Purging with co2 or argon will only work in an airtight container like a keg.

Air will diffuse through a rubber stopper and airlock and stopper (ideal gas law) .

Interesting. So you either have to keep purging on a regular basis or go airtight. I've often wondered what would be wrong with going airtight on wine that has already finished fermentation and degassing. Would there be a problem with this?

Flooding a carboy with co2 is a short term measure. Purging with co2 or argon will only work in an airtight container like a keg.

Air will diffuse through a rubber stopper and airlock and stopper (ideal gas law) .

After 4 months, I switch from an airlock to a vented silicone bung. It lets gas out, but nothing in.

Interesting. So you either have to keep purging on a regular basis or go airtight. I've often wondered what would be wrong with going airtight on wine that has already finished fermentation and degassing. Would there be a problem with this?

I would think that is fine. Someone on the site uses sanke kegs to age wine in. I think that's a great idea but I don't make enough of the same type of wine to do that.

After 4 months, I switch from an airlock to a vented silicone bung. It lets gas out, but nothing in.

I bet it's not nearly as airtight as you think. It's amazing how gas can diffuse through seemingly tight seals.

That is interesting. I've never even seen these. Does any typical beer wine store stock them?

Topping off with a similar wine is the method I use. Seems to be the easiest. And has always worked very well.

Will

Latest posts

Back