Topping up during aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark

Reaction score
I'm two months into my first attempt at bulk aging (a WE Selection Aussie Cab).The level in the carboy started at about 1/2 inch from the bung and is now down to about an inch from the bung (but still in the neck).I assume that's due to evaporation (the temp's been a constant 68F).I've read about racking and sulphiting every 3 months, so I assume you top off at the same time.If the level in the carboy drops below some level within the 3 month period should I pull the airlock and top off or just leave it until the next racking?How low can it get before I should start to worry?

I'm still a newbie, but I personally would like to keep the wine at the neck instead of the shoulders to minimize the surface area exposure to air.

You could always also add sanitized marbles to keep the carboy full!

-Nico

The wine level dropping 1/2" in the neck is more likely due to a change in atmospheric pressure (increase due to high pressure or nice sunny dry day) than evaporation at only two months. Keeping your carboy topped up within 2" of the bung is fine. A carboy properly topped has a much lower ratio of air to wine than a corked bottle. Edited by: masta

Masta is right Mark, I have had wines that were 1" from the bung and had a low pressure storm come through and the wine went 1/2 way up the airlock when I got home and was suprised how much this can vary.

I seal mine with waxand have not noticed changes in the level for the last few wines aging.

Perhaps when srevere weather is coming in it will happen?????

wade said:
You seal your carboy with wax?
When i bulk age, I use a cork and then cover the cork with wax so it seals the opening and air doesnt get through the cork.

This is after de gassing, and stabilizing with sorbate and sulfates.

here is a picture of one.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d199/slowpoke59ds/wine%20making/DSCF0378.jpg

If its a bad idea tell me please.
smiley1.gif
Edited by: scotty

Not a bad idea as long as you check up on it often as a low pressure storm could cause the cork to pop out maybe, not sure what kind of pressure that sealed cork can withstand. I think a drilled bung with an airlock would be safer if not watched often as you wouldnt want that to pop and be exposed.

If its sealed and degassed it wont move at all due to pressure changes if its sealed very well. Gass needs to be in there to expand and contract, but if its degassed there isnt any. If it sealed off from the atmosphere then they cant be an influence of pressure on the gas within the carboy. So basically what you have dont is bottled it in a great big bottle with a cork, but if everything is sorbated and stable and degasses why wax the cork?

Crackedcork

Corks that size look porous to me. Thats why i do it.

Another reason but just for fun.

Instead of a shrink cap

I like the wax dripping down the side look also. I sometimes use colored wax and let it run from the cork down the side and over the label when i'm giving a gift

Latest posts

Back