Topping off carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you cmason. I've not done MLF yet and am happy to learn the correct facts. Do you happen to know what causes geranium smell? I've read it many times, but I guess it didn't stick. Seems like bubble gum should have stuck tho!

OK I admit I love a bad pun.

Pam in cinti

Thank you cmason. I've not done MLF yet and am happy to learn the correct facts. Do you happen to know what causes geranium smell? I've read it many times, but I guess it didn't stick. Seems like bubble gum should have stuck tho!

OK I admit I love a bad pun.

Pam in cinti

Great pun. Here's the best explanation I have found about what causes the problem.

"Sorbic acid is not effective against many bacteria. It MUST be used in conjunction with SO2 to control acetic acid and malolactic bacteria. The major danger in adding sorbate to wine is active malolactic bacteria. They can metabolize sorbic acid and produce a disastrous bi-product called hexanedienol that has a strong geranium-like smell. This will ruin the wine, and there is no way to recover from this fault. Therefore, make sure ML bacteria are under control (via Lyzozyme, pH, and SO2) before you add sorbate."

cmason, thank you again! More good info. Hopefully I will remember what NOT to do even if I can't remember the why not to do it.

Lots of good info here. thanks all.

Pam in cinti

I need to warn you about marbles. They work great, but when you rack the wine. don't shove the siphon down in them or you will suck up the sediment. Act like the marbles are the bottom of the carboy and let the siphon sit on top.

Back