Topping Mead's??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User196221

Junior
Reaction score
I have 3 gal each of plain mead and a dandelion mead. They have cleared really well and I'm thinking of racking one more time. There is a small amount of sediment in the bottom of each. I purchased a bottle of "Middle Sister wicked white" wine yesterday. It is a blend of chardonnay, chenin blanc and gewurztraminer. Would this wine be okay to top up the carboys , if not could you suggest something better? Thanks for now.
JoAnne

I have 3 gal each of plain mead and a dandelion mead. They have cleared really well and I'm thinking of racking one more time. There is a small amount of sediment in the bottom of each. I purchased a bottle of "Middle Sister wicked white" wine yesterday. It is a blend of chardonnay, chenin blanc and gewurztraminer. Would this wine be okay to top up the carboys , if not could you suggest something better? Thanks for now.
JoAnne

I wouldn't use a white wine to top off a mead.

If you were to rack the mead into another container, I would only use more mead or marbles to fill the head space. There is much debate about the use of marbles on this site. I have only made wine once and did use marbles to top off my 6 carboys. Granted none of the carboys needed too much space to be filled; but the technique worked fine for me.

Obviously marbles won't work if you have 2 gallons is a 3 gallon carboy but you'll have to decide on your own if marbles will be an option.

If you have access to a few 1 gallon jugs, you could go that route: rack the mead from the three gallon carboy to the jugs (I imagine you will fill 2 jugs up to the top and then the excess would have to go into smaller mason jars, beer bottles or wine bottles)

Either way, keep us posted. I have 3 gallons of mead that I intend to rack off sediment in early 2012 and would be curious to how you did it.

Thanks for your reply. I like the idea of using marbles.......less chance of messing up the mead. I really don't think I'll need too many as there isn't that much sediment in the bottoms of the carboys. Marbles are on my shopping list!!
Thanks again.

Thanks for your reply. I like the idea of using marbles.......less chance of messing up the mead. I really don't think I'll need too many as there isn't that much sediment in the bottoms of the carboys. Marbles are on my shopping list!!
Thanks again.

Make sure the marbles are not painted.
Don't know that i would go with metallic colors either.

I get my marbles from the aquarium section of pet stores. I buy the clear glass ones.

do bigger batches in future and always have some left over from before to top off(Yes I am a addict)

If you are only adding a cup or so of wine.. it isn't going to affect the flavor. I would much prefer adding wine to mead than water. I've read about marbles hitting the bottom causing the carboys to crack. They aren't on my list.

Debbie

Latest posts

Back