too warm primary fermentation area

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
Question?

My fermentation area is now 96 degrees with the humidity at 16%. We just started a hot and dry spell. The wine room stays at 60 degrees and humidity at 30% so should the fermentation primary be in there or left out? I just pitched the yeast this morning so it really hasn't started yet.

Thanx for your assistance.

rrawhide

That's a tough call. One is too hot and one is too cold. Better follow Goldielocks and find a spot just right(at between 65 and 78 degrees). I would just let the storage room warm to about 65 for a few days to encourage yeast growth then cool back to 60 to let it finish up(even that is just a touch cool but it should keep going).

thanx appleman

i will go out and do that right now

have a great day -

your vineyards at looking great.

rrawhide

This falls under the same Question. The first kit I did was aRJ pinot gris10 lt in January it turned out great. I made another one last month and it taste completely different. The onlychanges were
1 temp 65 the first and 75 on the 2nd .
2 bottled water on the 1st tap on 2nd
3 degassing method a lot better on the 2nd

Has anyone else noticed a huge difference from the same kit?Could itbe differentvintages of thegrapes?

60F ambient is okay with a heat belt. The heat belt should bring everything up to 72-75, which is about perfect. If it remains a little cooler, you can expect fermentation to take anywhere from 1 to 4 weeks longer.

Sorry rick,now that I look at it my question has nothing to do with this post. I'll post it some place else.

Latest posts

Back