Too Much SO2 at crush

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flame145

Reaction score
I mis calculated and added 50 grams too much so2 at the crush. It should have been 27 grams and I added 70..
I did 18 cases of Sangiovese and 5 cases of Old Vine Zifendal. Approximately 270 to 300 liters of must..
I activated BM45 yeast with Go Ferm. Then added about 1 cup of grape must to yeast let sit until the yeast and the must were in 10 degree temperature and then pitched the yeast. The yeast took off nice with added grape must prior to pitching, but my gut kept telling me I added to much so2.
I pitched the yeast yesterday.. Today I went to re calculate the numbers and realized I screwed up big.. I also added the so2 1 day prior to pitching the yeast
Any suggestions ????

Last edited:
is the yeast actively fermenting?? If so, then no worries. Much of the so2 can be carried away, especially is you do an open fermentation.

If you are not actively fermenting, warm the must up and have sit open for another 24 hours. If you can, splash it around a bit to release the gas. Get some new yeast and try again.

Yes it's an open ferment. I have been splashing it also.. I pitched the yeast yesterday afternoon.. I have some surface bubbles so I am not sure yet if the yeast is taking off. I gonna give it another day, to see if some sort of cap starts to form.

Latest posts

Back