Too little campden wild fermentation started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandie14

Junior
Reaction score
I just made a batch of 40 litres from our little vineyard here in France, red grapes, and didn't put enough campden in on the first night to kill off the wild yeast and fermentation started. Will that mean that it is oxidised? If I taste it will I be able to tell? Thanks!

If it's only been a day or 2 since it started I would honestly say no tasting wouldn't really tell you anything, and oxidation is the results of oxygen in the final stages, as it is fermenting the gasses prevent/ force any oxygen out...now natural fermentation isn't always bad especially if it's slow and just started... by clearing/sterilizing it with campden tablets means its more clean and controlled with the type of yeast used flavor, potential alc, and so on, (a little out side yeast will probably die frome the amount of alc if its just starting or won't be enough to make a difference)and gives you more time to work, if it has just started and you have not added anything else you can re sterilize all equipment and add some more to the must and stirr few times...or you can just go ahead and start your full prosses add your air lock and let it go

Hope that helps, others may say different or have better advice, I always like more then one person input and like to do some good research my self.

I agree with Rob6578. That is, either let it go as it is, add campden now then add your preferred yeast, or just throw in your prefered yeast now and hope it takes over.

For what it is worth, in France, many wineries do their fermentation using indigenous yeast and spontaneous fermentation. However, that does require some experience to avoid problems.

I just made a batch of 40 litres from our little vineyard here in France, red grapes, and didn't put enough campden in on the first night to kill off the wild yeast and fermentation started. Will that mean that it is oxidised? If I taste it will I be able to tell? Thanks!

I just brewed a small batch (15L) letting it run wild and it tastes quite nice after a week. I tested the total acid for the wild run and it is quite close to the batch I fermented with cultured yeast and acid additions. It's a hair under 6g/L without additions, it was simply a co-ferment of muscat and zinfandel.

I'm no expert, so take what I say with several kilos of salt, but I say let it run wild!! :h

I have a batch of Granache, 72lbs grapes with 6 gallons of juice-that stuff was so wild to start - I sulfated it and it did nothing. so I just pitched the yeast and we will see. BTW if you guys ever do fruit wine, for some reason Mulberries are like this. they take off from the second you start and laugh at sulfate

Store bought yeasts are cultured under lab conditions and will more than likely be the dominant/stronger yeast strain taking over the ferment from wild yeast. Store bought helps control the end results of your wine and brings out certain characteristics in flavors.

That's what I did in the end just added the new yeast. It did seem to proceed as normal so I think it will be ok. Many thanks.

Latest posts

Back