Too high sulfites!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markg

Reaction score
I'm still having issues. Long post but bear with me. Started Pinot Grigio from fresh juice this January. Before I found this site, I was directed to use way too much metabisulfate (long story). OK, now I taste wine and it's too "salty" tasting. I go buy a Titrate test kit. I'm over 100 ppm. Just for the heck of it, I opened a store bought Pinot and tested it. It was about 40 ppm, which I read is where it should be for commercial wine. Now my question is " are the sulfites high because the wine is young"? I racked this wine 4 times already to try to eliminate all the lee's and have done a good job with a vacuum pump to de-gas hoping that will remove SO2. What do you guys think. Oh yea, on a different subject. I'm reading alot of guys using vacuum pumps. This is my business as I am an A/C contractor. The lower the pressure in your vessel, the lower the boiling point. FYI... water @ 28 inch vacuum will BOIL @ 70 degrees. Be careful not to boil your wine away because you see bubbles.

We only go max at 22" woth vacuum and not for long at all we creep up mostly at 15" till we can get it to 22" and then shut it off to see if it will hold there for 15 minutes. Everyone, never go above 22" as its not a good idea for the wine or especially the carboy as there is a chance of implosion. You must have found a low sulfite bottle there kaghvac cause most white wines are right about where you are, especially if its a sweeter wine. That is not a bad sulfite level you have there at all, a little higher then we as home wine makers shoot for though.

It sounds like you should rack the wine a few more times to try and get some more of the S02 out. It also sounds like you used Sodium Metabisulfite instead of Potassium Metabisulfite. That is the reason few of us use it in the wine itself. In too high of a dose it can leave a salty taste because of the sodium.

Also as far as the vacuum, I for one don't go over 22 in of vacuum for just the reason you state. Keep the vac as low as you can and still be effective in degassing.

Your right. Initially my local supplier only had sodium but has since changed to potassium. So Wade, your saying 100 ppm +/- is OK?

Its more then the home wine maker usually adds but about right for a typical commercial white. Some are much more conservative now because ther is big hype on sulfates lately.

Latest posts

Back