to pich or not?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomy

Reaction score
10-21 Started 1 gal Welch's grape concentrate with 2 cans + water Pastuer red yeast 2 cup sugar SG 1095
10-31 racked SG 1020 added 1/2 tsp potassium sorbate 1 crushed camden tab.
11-4 SG 1014 no activity dectected but has to be some as SG went down
tastes like grape juice with alcohol, and has a bit of sweetness, and no bad smell. Fermentation at 72f moved to 67f after racking.
Should I pitch this stuff or give it time and see what happens in a month.
I used the old balloon wine recipeshoud have used 3 or 4 cans of juice. Thanks Tomy
smiley32.gif
PS: sorry about spelling erros. I try to sound out the words but when ya go down to the crick to get a drink of water it hard lol

Edited by: Tomy

That SG was way to high to add campden and sorbate. The SG should go down below 1.000 and stay at a stable SG for at least 3 days before adding any stabilizer. Keep it warm and let it ferment dry.It still tastes like grape juice because there is still residual sugar to ferment out.

Its still working.The sorbate and campden are slowing it down but not stopping it.Like wade said,keep it warm,and forget about it for a while.
It should finish.

Ok guys many thanks. I will see what happens, I am going to let her work for a while, and start another batch, maybe some White Grape Raspberry.Tomy
smiley16.gif

Today I dumped the crappy Grape down the sink. The SG had not moved in 2 days and was stuck on 1014 I lost 2 weeks of time, $3.50 in price of juce & yeast + learned a valuable lesson. Like the Gambler said "You got to know when to hold em, know when to fold em,
Know when to walk away and know when to run." Thanks Guys Tomy
smiley32.gif

It would have finished with time.Did you taste it?None of your wine will be finished in two weeks.It takes at least a month,and some times 3.Thats the hardest thing for a new winemaker.Waiting for it to get done.Dont give up on them so easy,and give them more time.I have found that if you have quite a few batches going,you dont worry about it as much.

Some more nutrient and or energizer would have finished it r just time. Tomy, to become a wine maker you need to gain much more patience. This batch definitely would have finished like lockdude says. Please do not dump any batches as the few I almost did when I started turned out awesome given time. My wine flag is at half mast!

OK....... Your kidding right?..................

You drank it all and don't want to admit it...................

COME ON DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!

Say it isn't so...................

20071106_155245_halfmast.gif

Edited by: jobe05

Nawwwwwww he didn't dump it !!!! Did he?

Comon!! Somebody tell me it aint so !!!

3_12_23v.gif
I hear by sentence you to ferment 3 more batches now. The court officers will here by put you in custody and take you to The Wine Makers Toy Store!

I have 2 batches going now, Apple, Cherry started 11-28 & Pomegrannate started 11-3 I will start another this weekend as my sentance. lol Tomy
smiley32.gif

20071107_201146_100_0592_Small.jpg
Tomy,
I used this recipe http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request181.aspbut I didn't use all white grape/raspberry. The raspberry flavor is too strong (unless you like it that way.) I used half white grape and half white grape/rasberry. It was a nice blush with distinctive rasberrytones, not overpowering.

RamonaEdited by: rgecaprock

Hi Tomy,
Glad to see you got right back in there and started a new one. This time
don't be so quick to add the sorbate. Let the yeast do its job. A monthor two before you get ready to bottle these new wines start another and
build a steady stream of new wines. Helps add to the excitement and learning experience.

Today I started a new batch of White Grape/Raspberry, a bit tart for me but my wife said "it was right smart tastey" so I guess she will be drinking it. Also my Apple Cherryis changing colors at the top of the jug, getting much lighter color. I guess its really working. Tomy
smiley32.gif

Edited by: Tomy

Latest posts

Back