To Much Kmeta I Think

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcamnl

Reaction score
Last weekend my Syrah and Cab Sav were ready to be racked out of secondary and cleared. So I did that, adding Kmeta and SuperKleer. Lots of sediment on the bottom so I will be racking and topping off this weekend.
I was going over a couple of recipes last night, one being the blackberry I am starting this weekend, and I think I added to much kmeta to my reds.
The recipes I have call for 1/4tsp after fermentation is complete.
I followed the directions on the kmeta package and that said 1/8tsp per gallon. Looking back that seems kind of high.

You should use 1/8 tsp per gallon before fermentation, this ensures you killed off any wild yeast. After fermentation I use 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons, once every 3 months.

It would be helpful to know the quantity you're making and any Kmeta additions you have made previously. You are concerned about this addition at the second racking?

Alos, Kmeta blows off over time and with air contact. If you verify that you have too much and really want to reduce it, rack the wine down the side of the carboy so it has extra contact with air. Only do this if you know you have too much though as you can oxidize. Many commerical wineries put up to 300ppm into their wines, I doubt you have "oversulfited." The only conern would be if you haven't gone through MLF yet.

yes 1/4 teaspoon after ferm. for 5 gallons and I add a pinch after my wines have cleared and are heading to bulk aging.

I do not rack after that until back sweetening so I do not add anymore sulfite after those first two additions until then.

My wines bulk age fully topped off with sulfite and water in their airlocks and the wine is kept dark and cool to very cool.

At sweetening time I add a pinch of sulfite (and sorbate) and allow the wine to rest a week or two to ensure no refermentation. Then bottle.

If you believe you have added too much a good stirring or splash racking will help you. It's not the end of the world unless you got really carried away.

Latest posts

Back