to long in secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerry

Reaction score
Making a mead using recipe from THE WINEMAKERS RECIPE BOOK,Ifollowed it to a T. The only thing is it seems like it is in the secondary fermenter to long. Sept. 22,09 SG 1.040 put in secondary.Today is Jan. 30,10 and the SG is 1.016, It has been there sinceDec 6th. Is this normal or is it stuck? Should I rack it or let it sit? I'm making 3 gallons. I used Lalvin d 47 yeast.

You didn't say what your starting SG was....Or if this is a straight mead or you added some fruit or anything...I guess I would be worried about how much sediment it is sitting on......A little more information on this would help to decide on what to try next....Meads can be a bit trying a times..

bert; it is a straight mead and the sg was 1.110 when I started.

Jerry.....I'm thinking your mead may be done fermenting.....I did the numbers and came up with about 12.77% alcohol....D-47 yeast can give you 12-14% alcohol......I'm guessing the yeast may have given up....maybe due too...too low of ferment temps, ran out of nutrients [straight honey has poor nutrient levels to support the yeast] just to name a few things......I would rack this mead, add some k-meta, bulk age this for a while, let it clear good and add some sorbate before bottleing, give some time in the bottle and you will have a nice sweet mead....Hope this helps...GOOD LUCK..

Back