Time wise how much difference in temperature

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
We think our wine cellar will stay around 55 degrees.
So if we bulk age in carboy for 5 to 6 months in warmer temperatures and then bottle and move to the wine cellar, how much time do you think it will take them to finish up in storage that is 55 degrees.

Sammy, are you asking how long it takes wine to age? If I understand your question properly (and I suspect I may not), there is no specific answer. Wines take differing times to age and there is no specific schedule, that's part of the art aspect of wine making. For example, Cabernet Sauvignon does not always age in 2 years - some may while others certainly take longer.

There are some general rules:
  • Reds take longer to age than whites.
  • Bold or full-bodied wines age longer than thinner wines.

Then there's temperature. You don't give the initial 5-6 month warmer temperature, but it's important to note that wine ages more quickly at warmer temperatures (60F+) than at around 55F. That impact should be slightly less due to bulk versus bottle aging. None of that, however, tells you when your wine will be at its best.

Having said all that, one statistic I like mentioning is that wine ages 8 times faster at 73F than at 55F: http://www.wineperspective.com/STORAGE TEMPERATURE & AGING.htm That means wine aged 6 months at 73F will be about the same as wine aged 4 years at 55F. You didn't ask, but my suggestion is to store the carboys in the new wine cellar, as well.

Last edited:
We have just opened several reds from 3-4 years ago and what a difference from being a year old. If you can try to let your wine age undisturbed in your cellar. Slow temp. fluctuations are okay.

Wines will increase in flavor for awhile then begin to fade. Typically reds are really good 4-6 years while whites and fruits are maybe 2-3 years. If you pay attention you will notice the change.

All wines are different based upon acid %, tannin, temp., sulfite amount just to mention a few.

I have to give what you both said some thought.

Let me ask you another question.
What is the upper limit temperature that one can age in a carboy? I will not be using the cellar for making wine only storage.
I only make fruit wine from fresh fruits and some from store bought juices. I like to leave them in carboys for 6 months and then bottle. And some are very drinkable after a couple of weeks in the bottle.
The cellar was because I don't have enough "cool" space in the house for aging or storage (most of what is bottled is now being drank, about 300 bottles worth) A few need to age a bit more.

I have about 40 gallons in 1-gallon carboys that are still in secondary and I would like to keep them in the house until bottling in 6 to 8 weeks.
Basically what I want to know is how warm can the room be to accomplish what I would like to do?

I am now thinking maybe I will need a little space heater in the cellar to bump up the temperature a bit......

Sammy, to play with the answer a bit, it's a matter of both degrees and degree. That is the actual temperature and length of exposure.

Problems with wine are referred to as "wine faults" and among them is heat damage, often referred to as "cooked wine". Several things happen when wine is exposed to heat. One is that it expands, like any liquid. This puts the bung (or cork, for bottled wine) under pressure, eventually resulting in oxidation. Beyond that, subjecting your wine to heat causes a baked smell and flavor. The wine will turn brown.

Cooked wine can occur fairly quickly (perhaps by keeping a bottle in the car for a Summer day) or by exposure to lower temperatures over an extended period (such as what could occur in your situation). I am not familiar with any reliable studies on the subject, so can only suggest you avoid anything higher than 75F for extended periods.

One last point, dramatic temperature changes compound the temperature issue and should be avoided.

Last edited:
My cellar goes fom low 60's in winter air temp. to upper 70's sometimes into the 80's if I don't turn on the AC. This is usually only a day or so. Average summer temps mid 70's.

You do what you have to. Slow changes are better than fast changes in temp.

Latest posts

Back