Time to clear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpsmithny

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I started a juice pail of Pinot Grigio back in October. It was in the secondary until January 25th of this year. It really doesn't appear to have cleared at all in that time. What's a ballpark estimate of time before I notice any clearing?

What did you add to it as a fining agent?

Bentonite can be added right at the start and will clear out when the carbonation has stopped.

Egg whites also can be used as a fining agent provided you rack the wine within 30 days of adding the egg whites.

Personally, I like isinglass. You can add it at the very last stage before your final racking and it will clear your wine in 10 to 15 days. Just rack it off and it's clear enough to drink.

I've been meaning to try "sparkleloid" which is a synthetic product made by Scott labs(I think). It's said to have impressive results in 30 days.

Ok,

I am very new so bear with me.

I have not added anything as a fining agent.
The temps in the cellar are averaging about 65 right now.
I have not degassed at all.
It's in a carboy with an airlock on it.

It's been racked twice since primary. The SG is around .995 (don't have notes with me) so it is dry.

If I used egg whites exactly how are they prepared and added?

TIA everybody.

Last edited:
Ok,

I am very new so bear with me.

I have not added anything as a fining agent.
The temps in the cellar are averaging about 65 right now.
I have not degassed at all.
It's in a carboy with an airlock on it.

It's been racked twice since primary. The SG is around .995 (don't have notes with me) so it is dry.

If I used egg whites exactly how are they prepared and added?

TIA everybody.

JP, my strong suggestion is to do nothing uncommon at present, at least until you've attempted the most likely. Gas is often the cause of wine not clarifying and is the first step I'd try. Although the wine could have degassed satisfactory in this time, the temperature may have prohibited it. To test the wine for gas place some in a vial like a test tube or the hydrometer case and shake vigorously with your finger over the top. If you get more than a small amount of bubbles (perhaps 1/2") or there's more than a gentle pop when you release your finger, the wine should be degassed. Let us know about that and we'll continue - one direction with gas, another if there was none.

Degass through vigorous stirring, possibly using a wine whip but... I degas all my wines with a Vacuum pump. Search "Vacuum pump wine" on YouTube and you'll see what I mean.
If using egg whites to fine use 1/2 and egg white for each 23 liter carboy. The egg white needs a pinch of salt and then gently whisked for 10 minutes before you add it. Remove any excessive foam in the egg white. Slowly stir the egg white mixture into the wine and then stir again for 10 minutes. Then rack again in no more than 30 days. But personally I would give Isinglass a try first. You didn't add bentonite clay at the start so you've got a lot of heavy lees floating around. But degas as much as you can first. The bubbles will keep floating the fine lees back to the top until you get that SO2 and CO2 out.

The YouTube link is called "an ingenious way to degas your wine".
Used a rubber drilled stopper, not cork. Use a 7.5 stopper. Clear a few inches with your wine thief to make room for the wine expansion. The carboy will not implode so don't worry. It takes 75 mm pressure to implode a carboy. You won't get anywhere near that with a hand pump provided the carboy is full within a few inches. Do not vacuum half full carboys.

JP, following jimmyjames23 advice is probably fine as a second or third step, but you need to do a few more steps first. Initially, test the wine for gas as I suggested. Second, you probably have sediment in the carboy after sitting. Don't just degas because you'll throw all the existing sediment back into solution. After testing for gas, rack the wine into a clean and sanitized carboy (or the primary bucket, if that's all you have), then proceed with degassing as he suggests. If your carboy is plastic, I wouldn't use a pump - only if it's glass.

Thanks all for the replies. I'll certainly try the degassing first.

I won't be able to get to it for about a week or two. Is it alright the way it is for now?

Woah. I didn't see the part about the temperature. 65 is a little on the low side. You may stick the fermentation at that temp or at the very least slow the whole process down. The last time I made Pinot G I had the temp somewhere around 72-74 using EC-1118. Not sure what yeast you're using but 65 seems a little chilly.
Test for gas and maybe invest in a wine heater. I use the aquarium style ones for wine with the bung pre threaded on the cord with an extra hole for the airlock. eBay has them for around $12-20

Correction. eBay has 25w aquarium heaters for $7 with free shipping. No pre threaded bung though. How's your electrical skills?

Though I see the "FermWrap" belts are going for $60 with shipping. A much better investment. Especially if you have worries about a $7 heater that's made in China being submerged in liquid while plugged into 110 volts. Just sayin'

Woah. I didn't see the part about the temperature. 65 is a little on the low side. You may stick the fermentation at that temp or at the very least slow the whole process down. The last time I made Pinot G I had the temp somewhere around 72-74 using EC-1118. Not sure what yeast you're using but 65 seems a little chilly.
Test for gas and maybe invest in a wine heater. I use the aquarium style ones for wine with the bung pre threaded on the cord with an extra hole for the airlock. eBay has them for around $12-20

At this point I'm past secondary. It's already fermented down to .995,maybe a bit lower.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but with that SG have you tried stabilizing the wine? Stabilizing will kill off the yeast which stops fermentation which stops SO2 and CO2 production which causes the lees to settle much faster.
Looks like you have a very dry Pinot that just needs to go to the next step.

I wouldn't go crazy on this. Overall, your temperature is fine. My statement on raising the heat was to do it temporarily so the CO2 will leave or you can degas easily. Here's my suggestions, in order: 1) move the wine to a place that gets more heat than it receives currently like closer to a heat source or water heater, 2) put the carboy in a storage bin when you're ready to degas, add warm water to get the temperature up for 6 hours - keep adding warm and removing cool. Either way, get yourself a temperature strip that attaches to the carboy so you know the wine's temperature.

Back