Three new oak barrel questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

west_end

Reaction score
Ok I have three more questions about oak barrels. I did spend time researching the forum and did not find the answers, so sorry if these questions are common knowledge.

1. Because micro oxidation causes some evaporation, does it make more sense to get a 20L (5.3gal) barrel then a 23L (6.1gal). With the 20L barrel you can use the leftover wine to keep the barrel topped off.

2. So with a new barrel you should have 3 or 4 wines cleared and in a carboy ready to go, because cycling them through a new barrel at first may only take a few days, and you don't want the barrel to go dry.

3. If you are making the wine from a kit (and you know its going in to the barrel) should you add the oak to the primary fermentation as the instructions advise or skip this step and get all the oak from the new barrel?

The only reason I ask this question is that i just read an article that suggests that there are benefits from having oak in the wine during the primary fermentation.

Again thanks in advance for all your help

Ok I have three more questions about oak barrels. I did spend time researching the forum and did not find the answers, so sorry if these questions are common knowledge.

1. Because micro oxidation causes some evaporation, does it make more sense to get a 20L (5.3gal) barrel then a 23L (6.1gal). With the 20L barrel you can use the leftover wine to keep the barrel topped off.

2. So with a new barrel you should have 3 or 4 wines cleared and in a carboy ready to go, because cycling them through a new barrel at first may only take a few days, and you don't want the barrel to go dry.

3. If you are making the wine from a kit (and you know its going in to the barrel) should you add the oak to the primary fermentation as the instructions advise or skip this step and get all the oak from the new barrel?

The only reason I ask this question is that i just read an article that suggests that there are benefits from having oak in the wine during the primary fermentation.

Again thanks in advance for all your help

1) I went with a 23 liter and top up with commercial wine, or similar kit wines that I've already bottled. In 3 months time, I only lose 1-1.5 bottles to evaporation. Some people do go with a 20L for the reasons you mentioned, but from what I've read, the smaller the barrel, the more prone it is to leak.

2) if you're using the barrel for kits, have at least 2 cleared and ready, with a third done, or at least in process. A 23 liter barrel will go 4-6 weeks with the first wine, depending on your taste. The second probably 6-8 weeks. By the third, 10-12 weeks.

3) with kits, I do use the oak dust or chips intended foe the primary, but usually save any cubes that are intended for bulk aging. They come in handy with later batches, as the barrel gets to neutral.

Back