This Great Weather!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolishWineP

Reaction score
I can hardly believe the wonderful winter we're having! It's the end of January and I have not once plugged in my car!
smiley4.gif
It rarely hits zero at night!
smiley4.gif
It doesn't hurt to breath when I step outside!
smiley32.gif
I can see most of the pavement on my driveway!
smiley16.gif
It's just too wonderful!
smiley27.gif

**Yes, my life is sad that I get excited about nice weather. But up here, it's BIG news!
smiley3.gif

Yes, this winter has been warm here in Texas too. Temps in the 70's and 80's at times. The only problem is we are like 19 inches down on rain.

I'm going to have to buy wheels for my boat pretty soon.
smiley36.gif

-Doug

Heck, I have thought it has been a hard winter, it has been down in the 40's numerous nights and even into the 20's a couple nights!, I can't wait for summer! I am tired of this 40-50 degree weather. Was nice today though, around 72
smiley36.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Looks like mid 50's tomorrow and then a potential big snow storm first part of next week....Winter Sucks!

I like this Minnesota weather too...unusally warm for us...nothing near normal...
2006-01-27_184851_cold.gif

Today we went to the lake to ice fish...the lake was flooded...our fish/spearing house had lost it's snow banking and was up on it's blocks...resmbling a house on the Ba-you....Instead of moving the Fish/Spearing House to shore like normal people we moved to another fishing spot.

2006-01-27_185436_Movin'_Day.jpg

So...we loaded our 'shanty' onto our *Jalopy [*a pickup you don't care if it goes to the bottom of the lake] and moved the shanty to another fishing/spearing spot....[doesn't it look like a Hill-Billy [Jack-Pine-Savage] Camper????]
Saw a few good fish, one would have made a good meal, but it looked so happy, that we all let it go by....
Saw a 12# Walleye Pike...one that would have fetched at least a $3000 fine from your friendly Game Warden if we would have speared it...Tomorrow is another day....Tomorrow the Northern Pike are at risk...Tomorrow we spear supper
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Bayou = House on stilts..sourounded by water...is that correct???
We up here on de-tundra are usually half-froze over this time of the year...Just happy to be in temps above freezing...add some home made wine... = Happy Campers...
2006-01-27_194444_cold_2.gif

Northern Winos said:
Bayou = House on stilts..sourounded by water...is that correct???
We up here on de-tundra are usually half-froze over this time of the year...Just happy to be in temps above freezing...add some home made wine... = Happy Campers...

LOL, no, a house on stilts surrounded by water is a house on stilts surrounded by water or better known here as a Camp. A Bayou is a body of water, smaller than a river, bigger that a creek. Course here a creek is called a Ditch. Here isa Bayou down the road from me.

Bayou Manchac

2006-01-27_212449_bayou.jpg

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

smurfe said:
Northern Winos said:
Bayou = House on stilts..sourounded by water...is that correct??? We up here on de-tundra are usually half-froze over this time of the year...Just happy to be in temps above freezing...add some home made wine... = Happy Campers...

LOL, no, a house on stilts surrounded by water is a house on stilts surrounded by water or better known here as a Camp. A Bayou is a body of water, smaller than a river, bigger that a creek. Course here a creek is called a Ditch. Here is a Bayou down the road from me.

Bayou Manchac

2006-01-27_212449_bayou.jpg

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I meant a house on the Bayou....ours is just a shanty on a lake...usually our lakes are solid ice, our lakes usually don't have water over the ice...except for this wonderful winter ...we up here in the most Northern part of the Upper Midwest just aren't use to melting temps in the middle of winter that last this long....we usually beg for a 'January Thaw' or just a few days of warmth to get out of the deep freeze. This winter. This January has been awesome for this area.
smiley4.gif

Winter is not over yet for us, probably will get blasted into reality near our Spring time.

Here in Texas we Have

1. <LI>Lakes : Big body of water man made (only one natural Lake in Texas)</LI>
    <LI>River : Water either runs or sits year round</LI>
    <LI>Creek : feeds the river only when it rains</LI>
    <LI>slue : a small pond usually by a creek that has water in it year round</LI>
    <LI>pond : bigger than a slue but can go fishing in it</LI>
    <LI>pool : Thats in your backyard usually concrete.</LI>
    <LI>tank : a large pond that livestock drink from</LI>

Angell Wine said:
Here in Texas we Have
  1. Lakes : Big body of water man made (only one natural Lake in Texas)
  2. River : Water either runs or sits year round
  3. Creek : feeds the river only when it rains
  4. slue : a small pond usually by a creek that has water in it year round
  5. pond : bigger than a slue but can go fishing in it
  6. pool : Thats in your backyard usually concrete.
  7. tank : a large pond that livestock drink from

Bet you stay warm enough to never get ice on any of the above...
Bet you can fish from a boat year around too....we have to make do with what we have...drill holes through the ice to get a fish....
So, several weeks of unseasonabley warm temps during the middle of winter is a gift for us...
We have many weeks of unsettled weather before we have buds on our trees....
smiley19.gif

On the bright side, we have very clean air..
smiley4.gif

Angell Wine - I'm in Plano but my boat and camper sit next to a very low Tawakoni.

We may have weather that you could boat fish all year long, but this year, you can't get a boat on or off most lakes.

It's raining today...Hurray!! This is the first real rain I can remember in months.

I grew up in the snow junk. You can keep it!
smiley4.gif

Cheers,

Doug
</span>

Latest posts

Back