The Right Acid Level for Me?????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David04472

Casual Observer
Reaction score
I have been a country wine maker for many years. Measure according to the recipe, put it in the fermenter, and let it go. I never did any measurments. Some good wine, some not so good. After being involved with this forum I have run my last several batches measuring SG and acid. My question to you. I understand how to test for acid, I saw in one of your post that you shouldn't add acid after the wine is complete, but in order to determine the "right acid level" for me, can I test professional wines that I enjoy to see what acid level they are at? Would it be the same as the acid level I would use to start a batch? I would hate to use a 6 gallon batch for testing purposes. Thanks in advance for your advice. I greatly enjoy reading your posts.

David

I have adjusted acid levels after fermentation - i will take frequent readings on acid - espacially if i am sweetening with a simple syrup using water - or adding f-pac.

as those will affect the acidity.

I too have adjusted afterwards and have never heard not to. I always adjust to or close to what needs to be for a good ferment but sometimes thats just not possible. Numbers are there o get it as close to perfect as you can but taste should always be part of this equation.

What do you consider a good pH? New juice (Ruby Cabernet) that I just got from Procacci's is 3.86 pH. I usually shoot for about 3.4 with a red. It is almost ready to come out of primary. Should I leave it alone or try to adjust it? All comments are welcome. :b

Oops, I hope I'm not hijacking, but it seemed appropriate.

Last edited:
Back