The question of flavor

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Final batch of 2015

Specific Gravity @ 1.100
pH @ 3.40 to 3.50
final fermentation 2015 vintage
This is the final 5 of 20 gallons for this season. Yeast dump time!

image.jpg

How to carefully flavor wine

It's been a year and while the wine is balanced there is no apple flavor. So I've got to flavor 10 gallons split between two 5 gallon carboys.

Does anyone know of an accurate and reliable method to carefully flavor my wine with apple flavor concentrate?

Last edited:
Earlier in this thread you mentioned preferring wines on the dry side. I think you will find that back-sweetening fruit wines helps bring out the flavors. I have found that if the ABV is a little high (above 12%) that the alcohol gets in the way. Adding some frozen apple concentrate could help the flavor & bring the ABV down a bit. I prefer the concentrates to extracts for flavor.

Try a bench test in a gallon or even a glass. Add some sugar or honey (concentrate) and see if that meets your liking. If so, make enough to fill your hydrometer tube and measure the SG. It will be easy to adjust a batch to that level. Just make sure you have added sorbate before any sugar or you risk a re-ferment and even higher ABV. De-gassing could also be a concern but not likely after a year aging.

Add sorbate (1/2 tsp per gallon), wait a few days, add sugar, wait at least a week to make sure you haven't started to ferment again. If clear an tastes good, bottle.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back