"That's what she said..."

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dswaddling

Junior
Reaction score
This is virtually my first kit, so I'm looking for some moral support... I'm making a Mosti Mondiale 23L Original All Juice kit, and the thing seems to have finished almost before I got it started...

The instructions say that fermentation should complete between Day 9 and 14 after having pitched the yeast. Starting SG was 1.086, I racked it from the primary to the carboy (and added the oak chips) on Day 3 because the SG was down to 1.043, and now at only Day 5 it's at 0.995! (And, yes, I do think I'm reading the hydrometer correctly.)

Assuming everything is O.K., I'm going to proceed by leaving it where it is for most of this coming week (to get to Day 9 or 10 or so), before racking it off the sediment and stabilizing it. I topped it off today and I know I need to protect it from oxygen diligently from here on out. Does all of this seem right (and reasonable) to those of you who have more experience with this stuff? :?

sounds like a solid plan to me. looks like about 12 % abv, check it with your hydrometer for about 3 days in a row...if it has not moved..it is done fermenting...

I agree with James. We are currently almost ready to bottle a pinot grigio, and same thing: it fermented ridiculously quickly. We decided to let it sit for a few more days just to make sure we were getting accurate readings and that nothing funky was going on. Turns out the yeast just had one hell of a "twice as bright, half as long" party, because everything since then has been as expected and just fine. :)

The reference number of days is only that - a reference. Temperatures can really affect time. Use your hydrometer and go by that.

Back