Temperature out of control

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rifleman

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay guys, I really need help on this one.
On 9-20 I started a batch of pear wine pressed from Bartlett pears in our back yard. It is in a five gallon plastic primary. The recipe is the number 76.Pear recipe from the Winemakers Recipe Handbook (the old, little purple one).
My basement is at a constant 74 degrees ambient temperature. I started out at sg=1.098 and used Lalavin EC-1118 yeast. Yesterday, at 8pm MST, the wine was at sg=1.060 and the temperature of the wine was 84 degrees. This morning at 6am I went to stir the wine and noticed it seemed a bit warm. I took the temp and it was at 104 degrees.
Here's what I have done so far: I took three pint sized ice packs in sanitized plastic bags and immersed them in the wine and put a cloth on top to allow heat to escape. The wine is now down to 91 degrees.
I have never had this happen before, has anyone else? I did a quick search of the forum and didn't find anything similar. I hope I have this posted in the correct place, if not, please let me know and I will move it (It's been a while since I've posted a help request). Thanks in advance.
-Michael

Is the lid sealed down on the bucket? If so, remove the lid and stretch a clean towel over the top of the fermenter until fermentation slows.

No, the lid was not sealed down. As I usually do, I had a thick, clean dish towel over the top with the lid just sitting on it's edges on top. The lid also has a 3/4 inch bung hole in the top.

No, the lid was not sealed down. As I usually do, I had a thick, clean dish towel over the top with the lid just sitting on it's edges on top. The lid also has a 3/4 inch bung hole in the top.

Remove the lid, keep the towel to keep out the critters. Until the fermentation slows to about 1.030 to 1.020, you have nothing to worry about concerning oxidation. By the time it slows that much, temperature will no longer be an issue, either. At that time go back to your regular method.

Actually, I am surprised the temp got that high, though.

Thanks. That's what I did after I cooled it about 10 degrees with the ice packs. It's now at about 83 degrees and holding. I was concerned about oxidation. I will check sg here in a little while and see where it's at. This recipe calls for racking to secondary at 1.040 and I suspect it is close to that now.
I have actually heard about temperature spiking like that in very unusual conditions, but have never had it happen or known anyone it has happened to.
I was surprised the temperature was that high as well. I checked with a second thermometer because I didn't believe the first one, but they were identical.

Last edited:
At 1.040 the temperature should already be decreasing, so you should be just fine. If it is supposed to go into the carboy at 1.040, go for it.

Robie, Thanks for the help. I think I will go ahead and rack to secondary today.
What would your best guess be as to what happened to push the temperature that high?

Robie, Thanks for the help. I think I will go ahead and rack to secondary today.
What would your best guess be as to what happened to push the temperature that high?
Just guessing - lots of sugar, EC 1118 is a very active, powerful, fast acting yeast, large yeast colony, and the 74F temperature of the room. It may never happen again.

I have seen mid 90'sF many times. If nothing else, you got great extraction. This could be the best pear wine you have ever made.

Robie,

The recipe did call for more sugar than I had expected, so I could see that being a factor and I have used EC-1118 both as primary and to restart stuck batches, so along with the room temperature, it apparently all came together for Mr. Pear's wild ride. I think you might be correct about this batch being a good one, as I just tried a little and it is quite tasty at this point.
Thanks again for your help.
-Michael

Great to hear. Yep, in the exact same situation, it may be totally different next time.

I have never tried a pear wine. I brought back a bottle of blackberry wine from my Iowa grape picking Labor Day weekend. I am looking forward to trying it.

I really want to get into fruit wines when I retire in a couple years. I also really want to try making a skeeter pee; it sounds like a lot of fun, too. Seems a person can do a lot of different things with that wine.

Here on the western slope there are a lot of old orchards and gone wild fruit trees with fruit for the picking.
Even along I-70 between New Castle and Rifle there are no less than a dozen fruit trees that never get harvested that were a part of an old orchard at one time in the past.
We also have pear, peach and white concord grape vine in our back yard, so I end up with about 10-15 gallons of white grape wine and 10 gallons of fruit wine. This year I also made pomegranate wine (just bottled it) and "Frozen Tundra" from frozen Welches concentrate that turned out exceptionally well.

Here on the western slope there are a lot of old orchards and gone wild fruit trees with fruit for the picking.
Even along I-70 between New Castle and Rifle there are no less than a dozen fruit trees that never get harvested that were a part of an old orchard at one time in the past.
We also have pear, peach and white concord grape vine in our back yard, so I end up with about 10-15 gallons of white grape wine and 10 gallons of fruit wine. This year I also made pomegranate wine (just bottled it) and "Frozen Tundra" from frozen Welches concentrate that turned out exceptionally well.

Very cool!
Sounds like maybe you are in an area of Colorado where you might grow a few wine grapes. In Colorado Springs I could grow some cold climate grapes, but I have never tried. A friend has a full acre of such grapes up in the mountains. The vines are now 1 year in the ground.

I have tried, but we just get too cold in the winter. Now, down the road and the mountain, in Palisade and Grand Junction (Where I was born and raised.) there are now over 20 wineries and hundreds of acres of wine grapes. It has turned into the Napa Valley of Colorado. I was just at Plum Creek winery on Thursday asking about purchasing excess grapes, but no one has any. They even called around to the other growers, with no joy. I have some friends down there with a couple of acres that I am trying to talk into growing a few rows of Chardonnay and Riesling grapes. I will be interested to hear how you friend makes out. What are they growing?

Just guessing - lots of sugar, EC 1118 is a very active, powerful, fast acting yeast, large yeast colony, and the 74F temperature of the room. It may never happen again.

I have seen mid 90'sF many times. If nothing else, you got great extraction. This could be the best pear wine you have ever made.
Well, it has been several months and my pear wine is getting near to bottling. Robie, you were correct, this is one of the best wines I have ever made. Several people, mostly family, has tasted it and they all love it. The problem is that I only made 5 gallons. I am going to bottle half of it as is and make the rest into sparkling wine. Thanks for the advice to keep going. I am going to start some skeeter pee in the next few days. Does anyone have a favorite recipe that uses fresh lemons (from Walmart produce section)? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back