Quantcast

Temperature controller

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Norton

Reaction score
Just got a free fridge to use for winemaking. I read up on thermostats like the Johnson and figured out heating a belt might be an option too with one of those. Anyone here have any suggestions on what particular model works best with a fridge and perhaps a heater of some sort also?

vacuumpumpman

Vendor
Sponsor
Reaction score
I've been using this one for four years on my analog Walmart AC unit, $10 on ebay. Works like a champ.
I have that one that I use for my furnace in the garage - works perfectly !

I also have a Johnson controller for the the freezer which I picked up long time ago

we5inelgr

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:

BernardSmith

Reaction score
The thing about Inkbird is that it is "plug and play". I use it for transforming a fridge into a cheese cave and for controlling an aquarium heater when I want to ferment a mead at a temperature higher than the ambient.

Mismost

Reaction score
The thing about Inkbird is that it is "plug and play". I use it for transforming a fridge into a cheese cave and for controlling an aquarium heater when I want to ferment a mead at a temperature higher than the ambient.
Yes Sir....makes a chest freezer much more useful....freezer, cooler, fermentation chamber, fridge, frankly I do not understand why they don't just make units equipped with these controllers.

BernardSmith

Reaction score
Good question and my knowledge of engineering is zero but I suspect that one can set the temperature control in such a way that the compressor in the cooling unit is being asked to switch on and off so frequently that the unit will burn out after a few weeks. But that said, I have no idea why those shops that design and build fermenters for brewers and wine makers don't build a cooling unit that is thermostatically controllable...