WineXpert temperatue

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bijoy

Junior
Reaction score
I started my White Zin from the WE 4 week kit. I am afraid the inital temp was lower than what was reqiured. now I am 2 days into fermentation and the temp is only 65 deg F. Is this okay? I can see some activity but very little. What should I do to increase the temp.?

I do have the primary blanketed and a 60 watt bulb is about a foot above on top. Any suggestions? Should I panic?

Bijoy

No need to panic but at this temp the fermentation will be slow. I know when I lowered my fermentation room temp to 67 F from 70 F it added an extra week to the fermentation.

What is the temperature of the room where the fermenter is? The fermentation is exothermic so once it gets going it will create some heat on it's own.

I always wanted to trend the actual temperature of the must during fermentation to see how much heat is actually generated!

If you have a cool area where the fermenter is kept, one solution is to buy a product called a Brew Belt...it wraps around your bucket or carboy and helps maintain 75 degreesF.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=5008

I have had success keeping the fermenting pail warm enough by setting it on
top of a heating pad on the low setting. Just keep monitoring the temp of
the must over time to keep it in the range you want. Also, my wife sewed up
a jacket for the pail using an old quilted mattress cover. Even though the
"fermentation room" (actually the laundry room) is always cool, the must is
easy to control.

Bill

Back