temp of must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uavwmn

Reaction score
I checked the temperature of my must tonight and it was 80 degrees. My roomate didn't realize temp is very important during this stage and turned the A/C off today. I have the A/C on now. The must has been in fermentation since Sunday. It smells very "yeastie". I hope that is a good sign.

I have the lid on and a towel over the grommet hole on the lid. The instructions with the wine kit said this was ok. But the instructions that George sent said you could also clamp the lid on the bucket and use the airlock. Should I clamp the lid on and use the airlock?

Or scrap the whole thing and start over???
smiley18.gif
I need advice, I think! uavwmn

"Yeastie" is a good sign.

You can expect a certain amount of temperate to be generated by the fermentation. 80 is probably pushing it...but if its still bubbling away you'll be fine. Turning back on the AC and trying to get that temp down will help. I think my average temp was around 77.

You can either clamp the lid with airlock (which is what I did) or you can do what you're doing now which is laying the lid on and keeping a towel over it. I preferred the clamp down and the airlock as a way to make sure no extra protien (as in those little flying nat things that LOVE sugar) in my wine!
smiley2.gif

It is safe to keep the lid and airlock off till about 1.010 - 1.020, preferably the higher. I always use the lid and airlock and have have no problems and feel safer that way that no creepy crawlies will get in there. That temp didnt hurt anything as long as many people have hit that temp a few times in the summer, I know my wine room has been there a few times over the summer as my furnace is in that room and thats what heats our house and water

I've done it both ways, lid snapped down w/airlock and lid just sitting on top. I've also had the lid on loose for 3 days and then snapped it down. Any of those ways seem to work just fine. I tend to leave it loose with most kits simply because it's a bear to get off if you snap it down.

Back