Taking the first reading

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wannabe

Reaction score
Trying to improve my technique......or develop one would be more accurate. Started a batch of cranberry today. So far I have crushed the berries and put the in a bag, added campden tables etc and letting it set overnight. When should I take the hydrometer reading? I won't be adding the yeast until tomorrow. I took a reading today but then I got thinking that there might still be sugar in the berries that wasn't released yet. Should I take the reading tomorrow before I add the yeast or would todays reading be ok? Or would there be any difference?

yake it every day for the first few days....each fruit can release sugar from the berry or fruit at different rates...take the highest reading during this period to be your starting sg reading...you could if you wanted....even wait 2-3 days on that yeast so you can see the reading without the yeast working to lessen the sg number

I use the reading right before I pitch the yeast after the PE has been in for atleast 12 hours. I almost always get a higher gravity after adding the PE.

Latest posts

Back