Taint the wine I was trying to make.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy123

Reaction score
I started a Welches Niagria last month. It began with 4 gals of Welches and a gal of apple and 5 lbs sugar and some EC 1118 w/SG1.094. After 4 and a half days I tasted it and it was nice SG 1.012. I decided to stop the ferment so I added Kmeta (2.5 times recommended amount as I assumed some would gas out stopping 1118) A day later it was still bubbling some so I read a bit and cold crashed it for 5 days then racked degas and sorbate. 1 month and racked and degassed again and tasted. I have a taste I get with some orange and Skeeter P wines. I think it is H2S from stressing the yeast. I got it out of my skeeter pee with Chore boy pads and numerous rackings and stirrings and time. Anyone have an quicker,easier method or suggestion.

I usually just ferment out totally dry and then backsweeten. The yeast are happier when they're not stressed with cold crashing or adding metabisulfite.

That's what I've done as well. Just had an impulse to try this and I wont do that experiment with 1118 again.I read a link from a post by Tom about TCA. I wadded some Saran rap into a milk jug and filled it 2/3rd with my problem wine,gave it the shakes and let it rest overnight. The odor is about gone but so is the flavor I was trying to preserve.

Back