T.V. programme, "Man Verses Food."

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kleftiwallah

Reaction score
Watching this chap taking on a load of different food challenges. From humungous burritoes (whatever they are) to stinkingly hot chicken wings to gallons of milk shakes. One thing that I'de like to know, when we see the cafe preparing pork spare ribs, what is this brown powder everyone seems to be shovelling onto them before adding brown sugar and before wrapping in foil?

:thg

I only wanted the first one, where did the other two come from ? ? ?

Cheers, ;) Tony.

It's called a dry rub...I've been thinking of trying one out one of these days. Not sure what to get though.

I make my own with some garlic salt, Beau Monde, lemon pepper, red pepper and some ground ginger. Coat ribs with some olive oil, cover with the rub, wrap in plastic wrap to sit overnite and grill the next day.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Boatboy24. Please take me by the hand and lead me to the discussion forum, I've looked but cannot find it.

Brew and Wine supply. Please tell me what Beau Monde is.

Cheers, and thanks once again. Tony.

Last edited:
Watching this chap taking on a load of different food challenges. From humungous burritoes (whatever they are) to stinkingly hot chicken wings to gallons of milk shakes. One thing that I'de like to know, when we see the cafe preparing pork spare ribs, what is this brown powder everyone seems to be shovelling onto them before adding brown sugar and before wrapping in foil?

:thg

I only wanted the first one, where did the other two come from ? ? ?

Cheers, ;) Tony.

Come to the Southern US. Each area of the south has their own way of doing REAL BBQ. Think of the dry rub as simply a dry maranade. Ribs are very fatty and when that fat melts, it combines with the dry rub to almost glaze the meat. The dry rub is also applied on hours/days before cooking to pull moisture out of the meat. Much like dry aging, this makes for a much more tendor rib.

for the most part, a dry rub is a 8/3/1 mixture. 8 parts brown sugar, 3 parts kosher salt, and 1 part of (herbs/spices). Of course there is no firm rule on a rub, but this seems to work nice.

A couple of years ago, my and my brother went on a "Power Trip", visiting Georgia, Tenn, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Virginia. We ate ribs every day. IMHO, georgia had the best. I suggest you do the same (that is if you have some weight you want to gain).

Last edited:
I like my barbeque like I like my women sweet and hot ;) I may have to try making up a batch of dry rub and test it out.

Beau Monde is a Spice Island spice which is a combination of salt, dextrose, onion and celery salt. Its a good general all around spice.

The inevitable follow on.

Thanks to all your advice and directions, the family love ribs on the B.B.Q.

:br

:u

Now I'm asking for more help! after (or sometimes just as) the cooking is coming to an end there is slapped or painted on the ribs a sort of sauce.

Anyone willing to let me into the secret as to what goes into this sauce? ? ? :HB

Lurve those smilies. Cheers, Tony.

Cheers, Tony.

I'm willing..... I don't buy sauce anymore... This is the best recipe I've found. I usually ad a couple spoon fulls of horseradish ground fresh, but awesome like it is

ForumRunner_20121207_224109.png

On ribs, smoke 225 for 3 hours.... Then sauce rap with foil 1 additional hour. Rest ten min.

Latest posts

Back