Quantcast

Sweet reserve instead of 2nd sugar addition?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Cornelia

Reaction score
Hello, I have some sweet reserve pack left from making white zin as I prefer it dry, just weighted them and they are 8oz each.
1. Would it be ok to use instead of sugar
2. How much would I add, cup for cup?

Thanks! Really enjoying this project, skeeter pee is very happily fermenting

Arne

Reaction score
Sure you can pitch them in. Will probably change the flavor a bit unless they are just some kind of sweetener. They might not be fermentable and will just have the s.p. finish a little sweeter. Remember in your winemaking, a recipe is just a guide and you can change it however you would like. That is part of the fun of making your own. Arne.

Cornelia

Reaction score
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. But I will try and find out what the ingredients in the sweet packs are, I guess I just assumed it was some sort of a sugar solution

Arne

Reaction score
If they are a sugar you can keep it from refermenting by adding k-meta (campden tabs) and potassium sorbate. Wine should be clear and done fermenting before you add. After this you should be able to add all the sugar you want without a ferment restarting. Bench test it to see how much you want to add. Draw a little, add some sugar, stir, taste and add more sugar if needed. Get a specific gravity reading and you can make the whole batch to that reading. Easy and you get some tasting in the process. Win win. Arne.

Latest posts