RJ Spagnols Super Tuscan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adding to the mix

CHECKING THE PH DOESN'T HAVE TO COST A LOT AND IS FAST AND EASY...:dbTEST STRIPS FROMPRECISION LABS,INC.1-800-733-0266or consult any of the sponsors on this forum, fast, easy and a convenient way of control. Now you have it! :D

8 ph reading.jpg

Last edited:
I was only referring R.J. Spagnols and they told me (customer support) that it was Sangiovese, & Merlot. It has been several years so it may have changed.

Oh I see. Strange, been trying to find out from them (actually it was a few years ago now) whats in Rosso Grande Eccelente, and Rosso Bravissimo, and they wouldn't say.

If anyone knows what those are made up of, let us know.

CHECKING THE PH DOESN'T HAVE TO COST A LOT AND IS FAST AND EASY...:dbTEST STRIPS FROMPRECISION LABS,INC.1-800-733-0266or consult any of the sponsors on this forum, fast, easy and a convenient way of control. Now you have it! :D

Joe,
I have test strips but most everyone on here has said those are not very accurate and leave alot to be desired.

Want to see a sophisticated wine tasting. Watch the documentary SOMM on Netflix. I think those guys go too far..... LOL.

I have 2 comments concerning the op. First mine tend to taste better at botteling then go through a considerable bottle shock anywhere from a year to 18 months. Then many of the kit wines start to taste darn good.

My second comment is specific to the wine you initially posted about. I have made this Super Tuscan twice. The first was about 30 months ago the second was about 18 months ago. At the 18 month mark the first one was delicious and is a fond memory now. The second one is now at 18 months and not nearly as good as the first. Even though the companies try to blend and keep a similar product year to year I think we all underestimate the differences and vintage. I believe the vintage of 3 years ago was superior, perhaps the company sourced better grapes than more recently.

Last edited:
First mine tend to taste better at botteling then go through a considerable bottle shock anywhere from a year to 18 months.

Good to hear Tony, as that is similar to my situation other than mine is only 5 mos. old. Just going to ride it out and let them sit and age.

Adding to the mix

They get you close enough, and for the people who can't afford a meter this is another alternative, I don't have a test meter and yet can do quite well in achieving the oak and tannin levels with just basic equipment especially if your doing kit wines.:d that's why if you notice all my work is usually manually done ,just for that reason. for those who are starting out or can't financially afford the equipment.

Last edited:
They get you close enough, and for the people who can't afford a meter this is another alternative, I don't have a test meter and yet can do quite well in achieving the oak and tannin levels with just basic equipment especially if your doing kit wines.:d that's why if you notice all my work is usually manually done ,just for that reason. for those who are starting out or can't financially afford the equipment.

Good to know Joe. I was under the impression, and have been told on here numerous times, that the strips were basically worthless. I will keep your information in mind for the next time.
Thanks.

Has anyone used the Accuvin test strips?

http://www.accuvin.com/index.html

These are not the same as the cheap ones (about $3 each) and they are designed to work with reds also without any need for color removal. The sample is placed on the back of the strip and the reading is made through a viewing window on the other side of the strip.

If they work well they are a sort of middle-ground between cheap (but hard to use/inaccurate) test strips and expensive meters.

Adding to the mix

for argument sake a little over 4.0: :ibthat's a good level to start out on a big red and close enough for a kit........................:slp.let your taste be your guide ...................:HB the intent is to get you close enough and not to over power the structure of the base or the wines taste profile. Or do nothing!

Last edited:
I have 2 comments concerning the op. First mine tend to taste better at botteling then go through a considerable bottle shock anywhere from a year to 18 months. Then many of the kit wines start to taste darn good.

My second comment is specific to the wine you initially posted about. I have made this Super Tuscan twice. The first was about 30 months ago the second was about 18 months ago. At the 18 month mark the first one was delicious and is a fond memory now. The second one is now at 18 months and not nearly as good as the first. Even though the companies try to blend and keep a similar product year to year I think we all underestimate the differences and vintage. I believe the vintage of 3 years ago was superior, perhaps the company sourced better grapes than more recently.

We must have made our Super Tuscans at the same time, Tony. I have 7 bottles left at the 30 month mark. This wine is so good, I have the remaining bottles under lock and key. I am not letting anybody near them.

I didn't realize a kit wine could be inconsistent from year to year. I have this wine on the repeat list and hoping it will be as good as the first time I made it.

BTW, not sure how you check oak and pH levels with a pH meter. Those characteristics are achieved by tasting and experience.

Sorry, oak and tannin levels... you can check pH levels with a pH meter.... oops...

My super Tuscan was my first really drinkable wine, so I drank plenty of it. So much that at 18 months I was sad to discover it became delicious and I only had 5-6 bottles left. I am now quietly hoarding those. I agree my Lodi old vine Zinfandel has been my best wine so far from about 9 months even and just keeps getting better...

Back