RJ Spagnols Super Tuscan > Washington Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkisel

Reaction score
I've finally started drinking my RJS WS Super Tuscan after 3 mo. bulk aging plus 3 mo. bottle aging. Even though many of you would consider this wine still young I'm finding it tastes great right now. I'm liking it even more than the RJS WS Washington Merlot that I popped the cork on maybe 7 mo. ago - and I like the Merlot a lot. I'd recommend the kit to those who like their reds full bodied and with a fair amount of oaking. It is a smooth drinker and for what ever reason hints of a bit of back sweetening though no tweaking at all was done to the batch.

Bill.

A friend from this forum sent me a bottle of the super Tuscan, 18 months old, and WOW...!!! What a nice smell and taste..!!

I started my ST in Dec and still in glass carboy, can't wait until it is 1 year old.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Bill.

A friend from this forum sent me a bottle of the super Tuscan, 18 months old, and WOW...!!! What a nice smell and taste..!!

I started my ST in Dec and still in glass carboy, can't wait until it is 1 year old.

That's good to hear. At soon to be 70 years old I ain't waiting no year to pop the cork on my kit wines.
smilie.gif
[Edited to say that I have started to set aside a bottle or two from my high end kits for consumption after additional aging.]

I've got a WS Cab Sauv bulk aging and am anxious to do half a dozen other reds in the RJS winery series.

Last edited:
It is a great wine. While it was very good, I was a little disappointed with how fruit-forward it was early on. That fruit has scaled back considerably and it is even better now, and more consistent with the style. Set a few bottles aside. ;)

It is a great wine. While it was very good, I was a little disappointed with how fruit-forward it was early on. That fruit has scaled back considerably and it is even better now, and more consistent with the style. Set a few bottles aside. ;)

Maybe that fruit-forwardness is what is suggesting to me that there was a hint of back sweetening?

Yes, a number of members here have recommended holding back a few bottles and I have started to do that with my higher end kits.

I have a batch that was aged for 6 months, 1 in a barrel and now been in a bottle for 1 month.

I loved it out of the carboy, loved it out of the barrel
I have not even touched one bottle yet!

but it maybe time!
:dg

I have 3 Red Mountain Cab kits 1 to 3 years old. While each is certainly different, they are all very good today.

I have 3 Red Mountain Cab kits 1 to 3 years old. While each is certainly different, they are all very good today.

I'm glad to hear you say that. I have 2 RMC ranging from 18 to 30 months. They are soooo different. I expected them to be more similar since they come from kits. Both are good but the younger one is much lighter. I know age will help the flavors bit it won't help body.

I'm glad to hear you say that. I have 2 RMC ranging from 18 to 30 months. They are soooo different. I expected them to be more similar since they come from kits. Both are good but the younger one is much lighter. I know age will help the flavors bit it won't help body.

I'm curious, was there any difference in your process? Shorter time in primary/on skins? Or perhaps just a reformulation of the kit?
In any case, the sample I had of mine at bottling a few days ago has me pretty excited for what's to come.

I'm curious, was there any difference in your process? Shorter time in primary/on skins? Or perhaps just a reformulation of the kit?
In any case, the sample I had of mine at bottling a few days ago has me pretty excited for what's to come.

Looking at my notes, I find few differences in the methods used. The first batch was on the skins a full 2 weeks in primary and the second was only about 10 days. I would anticipate some difference there but not to the extent I notice it with these wines. Maybe I'm underestimating the impact on the skin content time but I would think most of the goodies are out of the skins by day 8-10. Maybe not. Others with more knowledge and experience feel free to jump in with comments here.

Looking at my notes, I find few differences in the methods used. The first batch was on the skins a full 2 weeks in primary and the second was only about 10 days. I would anticipate some difference there but not to the extent I notice it with these wines. Maybe I'm underestimating the impact on the skin content time but I would think most of the goodies are out of the skins by day 8-10. Maybe not. Others with more knowledge and experience feel free to jump in with comments here.

What temperatures were the two wines fermented at?

I tried a tiny bit of my WS Super Tuscan at 6 months but it still needs more aging, a bit green.i started it in Dec 2013.

I also tasted my merlot cab Sav from fresh grapes and wow it is coming along very nice. I started this last fall.

What temperatures were the two wines fermented at?

Honestly, I don't monitor the temp. They were fermented in late winter/early spring in my wine area which maintains a pretty constant temp that time of the year from around 68-72 F. Certainly, that could make a difference. But all my wines are made the same place at the same temps.

I age everything 2 years,(6 months bulk, 6 months neutral barrel, 1 year in bottle).

I also put aside 3 bottles, a bottle to try at each of 3,4, and 5 years.

The RJS WS ST is one of the best and tough to beat, but I have to say all the other high end RJS kits I've made, are very good also. I can tell you that they all change though over time, and they get better.

If you can wait, I can assure you that at 2yrs, they are much better than 1 year and even 18 months.

I haven't reached the 3, 4 and 5 yr mark yet, but as I do, I will let everyone know.

I have a RJS WS Chilean Malbec is that about 28 months old. It was bottled after a few months of bulk aging. Only have a handful of bottles left at this point, but it is definitely a great wine.

Latest posts

Back