Super Jet vs Mini Jet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runningwolf

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife is always trying to figure out what to get me for Christmas. I am considering hinting towards the Bon Vino Super Jet. Since October 2008 I have made over 13 kits and also five batches from juice. Is it worth the money to get the Super Jet. I haven't been really impressed with the reviews on the mini jet. I have seen them advertised as low as 325.00 and even lower in canada at 279.00. At that price Niagara Falls is only 90 minutes away and would be worth the drive.

I make200 gallons of wine a year. Half is from Juice from CA, Italy and Chile. The rest is from fresh fruit. I have the mini-jet and am very sastified with it. Remember you need not filter all the wines. I just "polish" (#2 filter)my fruits and whites.

Personally I think the "super jet" is overkill for you.

I see. I was giving consideration to price differance and also racking capabilities of it. Thats why I'm asking the experianced. I hate to buy anything now only to find out I need (want) to upgrade a year later.

last time I looked the Mini was under 200. The filters were cheaper than the super also

I am one of those that am not a super fan of the Mini Jet. It does work fine. My issue is it takes much longer to filter a batch than advertised. On average it takes at least 30 minutes with mine. It is also a pain to get it primed at times. I think it may have a pin hole leak on the pump head. I have clamps everywhere else. When I get it finally going it does filter just fine though.

I have never used a Super Jet so I can't really comment on them. I am sure they work fine. If you filter and bottle numerous batches in a session definitely lean toward the Super Jet. I have to wait between batches whenbottle to let it cool. It is annoying. If I made as much as Tom did I would havean Enlomatic Bottler with filter on it.

smurfe said:
I am one of those that am not a super fan of the Mini Jet. It does work fine. My issue is it takes much longer to filter a batch than advertised. On average it takes at least 30 minutes with mine. It is also a pain to get it primed at times. I think it may have a pin hole leak on the pump head. I have clamps everywhere else. When I get it finally going it does filter just fine though.

I have never used a Super Jet so I can't really comment on them. I am sure they work fine. If you filter and bottle numerous batches in a session definitely lean toward the Super Jet. I have to wait between batches whenbottle to let it cool. It is annoying. If I made as much as Tom did I would havean Enlomatic Bottler with filter on it.
Only problem with my mini is unless you clean the pump it may stick the next time you use it. It happened today when I bottled 5 gallon if my Canadian all juice Ice Wine. All I had to do was remove 4 screws and clean the impeller. It takes me maybe 15+ minutes to filter 6 gallons.

Smurfe, Got a URL on the bottler?

Only takes me about 15 min. for 6 gallons with the mini jet as well.
VC

yep, 15 mins here too. I have a couple of them. Garage sales are the best! Check your local craigslist too. Many people sell these cheap when used.

After making wine for a few years now I have stopped filtering my wine, if I was going to be in a contest I would but now the Mini-Jet just sits in the closet, it's just another step that takes more time and work, and I'm short on time and tired of working!!

runningwolf:

Many of the stores in Niag Falls Ontdo not sell equipment, and you would be best to call them before to make sure that they have the filter in stock. Vineco Wine World in St Catharines (about 15 min from NF) definitely sells equipment and I think they usually have both in stock. You might call them to confirm availability and price. Their web-site is out-of-date, they are now closed Sunday and Monday and holiday weekend Saturdays. I think that Saturday hours are still 9am to 2pm (but I don't usually go on Saturdays). 10% discount on the first Tuesday of the month.

Steve

I'm getting my mini-jet filter on Tuesday and cannot wait for it to arrive. The reason why I got one was because just that LITTLE bit of sediment manages its way into bottles somehow... somehow
smiley5.gif
. So the mini-jet will ensure that it's polished off just fine. I'm very excited!
smiley1.gif
smiley36.gif

Been using my mini jet for about 2 yrs now, love the way it polishes the wines. Smurfe, I too have problems getting it primed - found the best way is to suck on the delivery end until the wine reaches the pump, then it starts up right away.

For the average home winemaker, I think the Mini-Jet is perfect. I looked at the Super-Jet and found it to be just too large for home use. The filters are much more expensive for the Super-Jet.

I use my Mini-Jet with a #2 filter for polishing my white wines. Takes less then 15 minutes for 6 gallons. I love it.

Robert

bruno said:
Been using my mini jet for about 2 yrs now, love the way it polishes the wines. Smurfe, I too have problems getting it primed - found the best way is to suck on the delivery end until the wine reaches the pump, then it starts up right away.
I remove the short hose from the filter side, start the pump, and then shove the hose back on. Works for me anyway. BTW, I think my MiniJet was bought in 2000.

Steve

Is it possible to rack off wine with the use of the Mini Jet's motor? Would there be issues in doing this if the wine has a bit of sediment?

I am reading this post years after was asked. I am just comparing between used mini and used super which the different cost is 20$. Which one should I go with? FYI, I am new wine maker.

I am reading this post years after was asked. I am just comparing between used mini and used super which the different cost is 20$. Which one should I go with? FYI, I am new wine maker.

First consideration for me would be do you really need to filter?? The answer for most is no. Filtering is only for polishing the wine, not for clearing a wine. If you use a wine filter on cloudy wine, you will go through lots of pads. Time is the best clearing agent.

First consideration for me would be do you really need to filter?? The answer for most is no. Filtering is only for polishing the wine, not for clearing a wine. If you use a wine filter on cloudy wine, you will go through lots of pads. Time is the best clearing agent.
Thanks for your response. Yeah, this is xomething I am not sure. Even I dont know what is mean pulishin in wine world...

Thanks for your response. Yeah, this is xomething I am not sure. Even I dont know what is mean pulishin in wine world...

Polishing is that shine that many commercial wines exhibit, the sparkle in the glass.

Is it necessary for the wine to be good, absolutely not. What matters is the clarity of the wine. For a white it is easy to know, can you read a newspaper, magazine article through a full carboy.

Although even that isn't "required" many folks drink cloudy wine, it's not like it will harm you, but most of us shoot for clear wine, no obvious floaties in there.

Latest posts

Back