Super fast ferment?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwr75

Junior
Reaction score
I started a batch of blackberry wine (Tom's recipe) on August 27 at 8 am in an eight gallon bucket. S.G. was 1.120.....might have been a false high reading since most the liquid in the berries had not yet integrated with the must.

August 28 at 8:30 am pitched the yeast rehydrated with Go-Ferm.

August 29 at 8:30 am ferment very active and foaming over top of bucket. 2:00 pm checked S.G. and it was down to 1.072.

August 30 at 3:30 pm SG is down to 1.030.

I've never had a wine ferment this fast, but this is my first time using Go-Ferm. Is this an unusually fast ferment (not that there is anything wrong with that)?

What is your ambient temperature (in the room) and did you monitor the temperature within the must? Also, what yeast did you use? Did you follow the Go-Ferm directions as far as the amount you rehydrated with?

These are the normal things that the "experts" need to know to address your question.

I followed the Go-Germ rehydration instructions exactly. The yeast is Lalvin 71B 1122. Room temperature is an air conditioned 76 degrees F. I did not monitor the must temperature.

EDIT - the carboy is degassing like crazy now through the airlock. Put the carboy in a secondary containment bin to catch any must that bubbles through the airlock (don't want to stain the concrete).

Last edited:
I went back and looked at the fermentation notes I had with the Forza kit I'm in the process of doing. My ambient temperature was 73*F and I think at one point I was around 80*F internally. The yeast was knocking off at least 0.020 in eight hours, so I don't think yours at a higher ambient temperature is out of line. I was using Lavin RC-212 yeast.

It was the fastest ferment I have had to date, but I've only been making wine for 10 months. The wine is young but tastes fine at this point.

Thanks ceeaton. The CO2 generation rate has dropped to one bubble every 3 seconds now and the S.G. is 0.998. Ferment done. Now to let it sit and start to clarify.

Last edited:
Back