Sulfur smell after bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val-the-Brew-Gal

Magickal Cat Wines
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently made a strawberry guava Dragon Blood. After fermentation, I racked multiple times with my AIO and added potassium metabisulfite and potassium sorbate then backsweetened and finished with SuperKleer. It cleared beautifully and I bottled it probably a 5-7 days ago. I opened a bottle last night and got a distinctive sulfur smell. I've had this happen to a wine before but it remedied itself after racking. This wine didn't have that issue at anytime and it was fine when I bottled so I was really surprised. It evaporated off with a little swirling of my glass and then was fine after the bottle had been opened a while. Is this something I should be concerned about? I've never had it happen before.

Last edited:
* are you very sensitive to K meta? From what happened prior to the test bottle I wonder if you were close to 100 ppm SO2 or are you a member of the 0.1% of the population which will smell 50 ppm.
* did you have anyone else smell the wine?

Last edited:
It's probably excess sulfites added to the wine. Strawberry isn't super low in pH unless you added acid blend to the recipe. Maybe double check the total sulfite additions to be sure you didn't add too much over the course of the rackings and bottling.

If you are able to measure the pH and titrate the SO2, you'll get an accurate value of the actual free SO2. Otherwise you can guess the dosing of the wine by looking up in your logs the metabisulfite addition for the pH and subtract 10ppm for each racking. Compare this to the desired free SO2 for the pH, 3.6 for typical strawberry. Roughly speaking of course.

If it is excess sulfites, it will depress the fruit aroma but isn't anything to be concerned about by itself. It won't harm you, just annoy you and make you more cautious next time.

Back