Sugar wine stalled

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol edit your post and I look like a rambling fool. It does doesn't it. :)
Welcome to the forum. Thank you, it's been very enlightening.
Expect many of you questions to be answered with more questions.
What is your objection to using water.

There isn't an objection to the water - it was just a simple concept and I wanted to learn about it. I just wanted to see how it would react and grow since this is the first few months of brewing. I'm a curious person and I just had to see how it worked.

It's giving me a better insight to why we use fruits in the wine and how the yeast needs something to feed off of.

It's shown me the benefits of DAP and other things. So it's not only been an interesting project, but a interesting forum conversation as well seeing the different suggestions and opinions.

So not thinking outside the box.
More thinking about the box itself.
Learning is learning.
Might make a good vinegar base too? But do that experiment in a different area.

It's shown me the benefits of DAP and other things.

I noted that you mentioned continuing the DAP applications daily. Once you’re past 2/3 sugar depletion, it’s best to switch to a nutrient like Fermaid O, which is organic. The yeast doesn’t use the nitrogen in DAP towards the end of fermentation like it does in the beginning, leaving you finished product with an abundance of nitrogen, which other less desirable organisms can make use of to infect your wine.

I noted that you mentioned continuing the DAP applications daily. Once you’re past 2/3 sugar depletion, it’s best to switch to a nutrient like Fermaid O, which is organic. The yeast doesn’t use the nitrogen in DAP towards the end of fermentation like it does in the beginning, leaving you finished product with an abundance of nitrogen, which other less desirable organisms can make use of to infect your wine.

I used the DAP to restart it and give a booster into it. I'm using a Yeast Nutrient now. I have some Fermaid O on order. It takes a while for me to get supplies since I'm in Alaska.

I used the DAP to restart it and give a booster into it. I'm using a Yeast Nutrient now. I have some Fermaid O on order. It takes a while for me to get supplies since I'm in Alaska.

Good to hear it’s on the way.

Chilkat makes good sense given your location! Alaska is on my bucket list for a variety of outdoors activities, a bow hunt for moose and caribou, as well as some fishing during the salmon run, and I’d love to fish for giant halibut. I’ll get there one day, and am looking forward to the seeing the beautiful sights along the trails.

Good to hear it’s on the way.

Chilkat makes good sense given your location! Alaska is on my bucket list for a variety of outdoors activities, a bow hunt for moose and caribou, as well as some fishing during the salmon run, and I’d love to fish for giant halibut. I’ll get there one day, and am looking forward to the seeing the beautiful sights along the trails.

I live in the Chilkat valley in a village - Klukwan. I would upload a picture of where I work and what it looks like today but I don't have my cable. I live in a very beautiful place.

When I was a kid we did this but we also used a koolaid packet for flavor. Stuck a baloon on top of the jug to keep it from oxidizing. The things we survived through the 80’s with and we never used no nutrients.

-johann

If using water is goes against the grain for you, use a similar cheap wine to increase volume. Just to bump the ABV up, if needed you could use a little vodka or Everclear. (Beware of too much of the latter two or the Alcohol will ruin the flavor)

Yeah - This project will never be done again. EVER!

It' is the most foul smelling swill I have ever smelled. It tastes worse and I'd never use it to top off anything that I would ever drink.

lol.... I have to admit - I was following this thread out of curiosity as not too terribly long ago I wondered the same thing "could you....". Well, I have my answer!

Thx for the chuckle and answer.

Latest posts

Back