Stuck fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyB

Reaction score
Have a Chilean Pinot Noir going right now. It is juice that I received over a week ago. I started fermentation on June 2 and all was progressing well. I got to a point where the SG was at 1.024 for a couple days. I talked to my local home brew place and they suggesting adding red star champagne yeast and some super ferment. I am on my second day where I am still sitting at an SG of 1.024. Should i hold off and see if fermentation starts again? I do see a little bubble action in the airlock. Any suggestions?

2 days isn't that big of a deal, it could be a mis read from the day before, if it doesn't move for 3 or more days, it may be stuck.
What was the starting SG? What temp is it at? Did the room get cold, maybe the AC was turned on?

ScottyB said:
Have a Chilean Pinot Noir going right now. It is juice that I received over a week ago. I started fermentation on June 2 and all was progressing well. I got to a point where the SG was at 1.024 for a couple days. I talked to my local home brew place and they suggesting adding red star champagne yeast and some super ferment. I am on my second day where I am still sitting at an SG of 1.024. Should i hold off and see if fermentation starts again? I do see a little bubble action in the airlock. Any suggestions?

If you haven't already, give it a good stir once a day. Sometimes letting it breath a bit helps.

Starting SG 1.094 temp is at 76 and is constant. I will keep an eye on it for movement.

Make sure your hydro sample is degassed, dissolved CO2 can screw up the reading.

Did you add anything to the must before you started fermenting? Have you added anything since?

Are you testing SG with a hydrometer or with a refractometer? Do use a refractometer unless you use a special conversion formula because the presence of alcohol will prevent a refractometer from directly reading below about 1.020.

Did you add anything to the must before you started fermenting? Have you added anything since?

Are you testing SG with a hydrometer or with a refractometer? Do use a refractometer unless you use a special conversion formula because the presence of alcohol will prevent a refractometer from directly reading below about 1.020.

Yes I added some sugar to bring up the SG pre-fermentation I also tested PH and TA and they both were fine. I am using a hydrometer not a refractomometer. I do have a refractometer and a conversion spreadsheet that i got from M&M website.

Yes I added some sugar to bring up the SG pre-fermentation I also tested PH and TA and they both were fine. I am using a hydrometer not a refractomometer. I do have a refractometer and a conversion spreadsheet that i got from M&M website.

Just asking, since some make the mistake of trying to measure SG with a refractometer and don't know about the need to convert when alcohol is present.

I would make sure it is in the upper 70'sF and give it a good stir to whip in some oxygen. If it doesn't start in 2 or 3 days, pitch some more yeast and try again.

robie said:
Just asking, since some make the mistake of trying to measure SG with a refractometer and don't know about the need to convert when alcohol is present.

I would make sure it is in the upper 70'sF and give it a good stir to whip in some oxygen. If it doesn't start in 2 or 3 days, pitch some more yeast and try again.

Ok thanks Robie and all for the help I really appreciate it and want this to turn out good :) but learning from our failures is part of the process. Regardless this is a great experinence.

Latest posts

Back